LIST OF PLUG-INS DEVICES TO LEARN, PUT YOURS

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

My list:
All Pulsar Mixers, as a priority

EQs

Compressors

Limiters

Gates

Filters

Just to get started…
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
borg

Post by borg »

i really need to know more about the pulsar mixer, the mixing/mastering stuff (compressors, limiters,...), it already has been discussed on numerous occasions, but you can never have enough information (especially when it's specific and thorough).

great idea! i think it's better to do it like this, rather than to ask john for another forum (maybe in the future, summaries of the various threads could be placed in a special spot, read only). i'm not really sure how the mp3 thing should be organized though...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: borg on 2002-04-27 17:48 ]</font>
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Neither I am! I thought it would be good to post them into the music forum. But perhaps it's too much of a load for the forum itself. Maybe a separate folder for all this staff?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Mixing & mastering here too. We used to take the whole rig into the studio and sit around and say things like: "I can't hear the lead," and "do you think the vocals sound muffled?", and the engineer would start twiddling. Now I have to worry about that...
caleb

Post by caleb »

Everything!

I just thought I'd post a "helpful" addition.

Wow! I got to the point in less than a page!
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
garyb

Post by garyb »

do work for other people.that will sharpen your chops!
eliam

Post by eliam »

Those effects are the basis, but at some point, I'd like to have condensed basic principles about sound synthesis.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, I think we all need different things. But we all are going to need what our partner needs today tomorrow, or yesterday... So I agree with those who want to ge deep into every aspect and every Device.

When I ask you for a list, it's just to be democratic about what goes first, and so on... So I don't mean to choose what to study, but just put it an order, so every week we go with one of them. I mean, one matter. For example, if we study EQs, of course we are going to study all of them at the same time, cos if not we were never to finish cos they are quite a few.
borg

Post by borg »

maybe i'm a bit going too fast here, but it would sure be cool if some smart guy could tell us a simple but effective way to test the devices. i mean, how do you set up a project to be able to test and compare objectively (like VST/CW compressor)?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Retro

Post by Retro »

Nestor, if you're still serious about your proposal to start tutorial sessions, could I suggest we start with a bit of audio theory? I know this will sound boring to some people, but from what I have read here, the cause of many people's problems is due to the fact that they don't understand some very fundamental concepts about sound.

Of course we all want to dive in and start pushing buttons and tweaking knobs (I did that too when I started out) and there's nothing wrong with that at all, but a lot of future production problems can be avoided if you know exactly what you're manipulating. I can't stress that enough!

I'd be happy to write up some pieces on this topic if there is enough interest. We could make it interesting by posting diagrams and sound samples. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Retro
eliam

Post by eliam »

I agree. Proceed when ready! :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

100% agree with you Retro, it's a logical start studding AUDIO, and I would add a little MIDI too. Nevertheless, we need to wait a bit so more people join the quest. We have to give the chance to everybody to read this and so posting their ideas and suggestions.

Nevertheless, whatever we study I think that the trick is to get practical, not too theoretical. Audio? Perfect! MIDI? Fantastic! But with practical examples everybody can do at home. Otherwise we read and read just to forget when the time goes by and in that way, the effort it's not beneficial for those who teach neither for those who study.

Anyway, we need to start someday, so lets say:

<FONT SIZE=”+4”>Monday 6th of May</FONT>

What do you think? I think it's enough time for everybody to read this getting ready to go there.

I can imagine everybody writing about the same subject, studding different aspects of it, posting, reading the different posts, etc., it would become sort of a School about Audio Production & Learning Pulsar.
And cos the files will be no more than 30 seconds long, as a rule, we can process them very quickly, upload them fast and download them speedy as well, so it makes sense and becomes feasible.

I have written a private message to John Cooper too, because hi has to agree for us doing it, cos I think we need a special arrangement into the forum to be able to load the MP3 we are going to get every week, and they may be many… :wink:
at0m

Post by at0m »

I would surely like to join you peepz :smile: This might get very interesting.
wayne

Post by wayne »

I'm on board
caleb

Post by caleb »

I'm very happy to start with the basics of audio.

It will be like having a study group at Uni - this is going to be fun.

I swore I was never going back - what was I thinking? :smile:
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

It's a good Idea from Retro to start there, it's like REALLY start, isn't it? From the very bottom. It's good even for those who already know, because it gives them the possibility to go back revising the knowledge they got to know long ago, and deepen their understanding too. When you study something you like much for a second time, you learn much more than what you expect, cos you can see that from new, different angles.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I'm interested too, this could be fun!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

wow! Awesome idea, I'd be glad to share and also brush on my basics too! So where do you want to start? A basic physics point of view could work, and then linking that to digitization, wavetables. And then go on from there. Something like that?
Retro

Post by Retro »

Sounds like a good, logical progression to me Kensu. Should we use the time between now and the 6th to put together a syllabus of sorts? Having a basic plan and list of topics from the outset might help us keep organised. We could always review and adjust the plan as the course progresses.

Major headings might include:

1. Audio Theory/Acoustics
2. Digital Audio Fundamentals
3. MIDI
4. Sound Synthesis
5. Signal Processing
6. Digital Recording
7. Mixing
8. Mastering

These are just suggestions. Obviously we would all plan this together and add sub-topics etc.

Nestor:
I agree that the approach should be as hands-on as possible. People get very bored with bucketloads of theory, especially when they're constantly being beckoned by a delicious CW system... "Play with meeeeee!"
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

oh, so this is where I posted.. hard to keep track cuz there's another thread of similar taste?? anwyay, yeah, maybe it'll be good to set up a syllabus with everyone so as to know what everyone wants to know.

And you're right, the Pulsar platform the BEGS for action! :lol: