LIST OF PLUG-INS DEVICES TO LEARN, PUT YOURS

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Valium

Post by Valium »

In with it, every device I need more info on is allready mentioned by others, so no need to add some new ones...

Great idea!!!
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Anybody doing the MIDI part? I could take that... :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, very good ideas and logical progression too. I like your list Retro, it’s organised into folders, or let say subtitles, better that way.

Please, let me use your list Retro, so we build subdivisions into it. Which subdivisions should we add?

You said:

1. Audio Theory/Acoustics
2. Digital Audio Fundamentals
3. MIDI
4. Sound Synthesis
5. Signal Processing
6. Digital Recording
7. Mixing
8. Mastering

Now, let drew up a logical development of the specific steps to study within the context of every of the eight Headings you proposed us, for instance, for the first one which is “Audio Theory/Acoustics”:

1) Basics of Audio Theory.
2) Introduction to the Physics of Audio.
3) Digitisation.
4) Sampling Theory and Sampling Rate.
5) Dithering.
6) Digital Audio Quality.
7) The Virtual Mixer.
:cool: Waveform Editing.
9) Time and Pitch Manipulation.
10) Audio Timing.
11) Vocals.

I really am speculating, I need help here to get organized. This is a starting point and nothing else. Please, give your advice and ideas to fill the blank of all the eight Headings proposed by Retro, thanks. We need to have a perfectly organized subdivision of the first Tread for next Monday 6th of May.
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Excelent list so far, but I'm missing the musical part. I think we should definitely, during all parts, keep in mind what our ultimate goal is and remains to be: making music and producing musical compositions.
So when talking about digital audio, we basicly are talking about the digital representation of music, vocals or instruments, e.g. what's the effect of the digital representation on these real life things. And when doing synthesis we might want to keep in mind (but not always) the analogy with real life instruments with real life harmonics.
So I'd suggest to add a clear scope to the list of subjects. Maybe more than one scope, each being studied by a different group of ppl.
Rob
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I realise this is a long-term business we have to build up in regard with the subtitles… So, please, lets go into the four first weeks and during these four weeks we can sort out, with more time, what are we going to do with the rest of the list to get well organized. This is so, my proposition starting next 6th of May:

AUDIO THEORY/ACOUSTICS
Fist week:
From 6th to 12th of May
· Basics of Audio Theory
· Introduction to the Physics of Audio
· Introduction to Acoustics

DIGITAL AUDIO FUNDAMENTALS
Second week:
From 13th to 19th of May
· Digitisation
· Audio Timing
· Dithering

Third week:
From 20th to 26th of May
· Sampling Theory and Sampling Rate.
· Waveform Editing
· Time and Pitch Manipulation

MIDI
Fourth week:
From 27th to 31st of May
· Introduction to MIDI theory and practice
· MIDI controllers

Well, this is just to get started. If anybody wants to change it or needs anything else, or I’m missing something, etc., please give here your suggestions before next 6th of May.

BTW: I think it is significant once any of the study threats are open, to keep them as clean as doable without mixing too many different topics together, cos it becomes heavy for those looking for some information later, and confusing for ourselves too. Every one of those threads - cos of it’s special characteristics - is likely to become exceptionally large. So please, lets be tidy!
djevo

Post by djevo »

What great idea!

For me:
Audio and Midi basics

Mixers

Synths

and all the rest... Image
caleb

Post by caleb »

I know this is a particularly stupid question - but I really love stupid questions so here I go.

We've got a week mapped out starting on 6th May with Audio basics and that's really cool - but what are we actually going to do again?

I mean I love being a big old sponge and soaking it all up and I imagine the only possible asset I can be is to ask a zillion questions. But what do I actually do?

I could waffle a bit and you know how I like waffling. :smile:
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
Retro

Post by Retro »

Yep Nestor, let's just go with that plan and see what happens. The subtopics look good. As I said earlier we can always make adjustments along the way if we need to.

I agree it could get messy if we don't organise the topics properly in the forum. How about one thread per subtopic? You could start each new thread with a brief intro perhaps, and if a thread gets too long you could always create a "Part 2"...
Retro

Post by Retro »

Waffler... oops, I mean Caleb: :lol:

When we start the topic, I assume those who are studying it and/or have experience with it will start things off with some information. Then other people are free to add their own findings, ask questions and give answers. Then again I could be totally wrong about this! Is that what you're envisioning Nestor?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

You have explained it perfectly Retro, this is very logical. I think most people will agree with us on doing it that way. All I want to say was said by your two posts before this, so I repeat exactly what you have said. :smile:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

this would be an amazing resource, I'm definitely interested in learning, reading, exchanging etc.

Retro, sounds like you know what you're doing - too much democracy might just mean this thing never gets off the ground. If we start with your suggestions, the threads will naturally develop with tangents and so on, but that is fine. Let's go with you list - I'll be there on the 6th !
caleb

Post by caleb »

Me too.

I am the sponge - think the sponge - feel the sponge. Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
mano

Post by mano »

is there a description of this Pulsar Study project somewhere? I've looked a bit at all the threads but I am not sure if this is actually going to be a real event somewhere or if it will remain online.

Thanks for clarifying, it sounds awesome :smile:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hi! No, there is no physical place, it’s a forum project. The rest of the matter will be discus into the following weeks. I’m not posting any questions or suggestions right now, cos it’s not the moment, people is completely into the upgrade. Anyway, this is the place to study, Pulsar Study Forum. Cheers :smile: