Synth drift

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Re: Synth drift

Post by JoPo »

Bud Weiser wrote:Jitter is what you feel more than you´ll hear it and it´s comparable to random non-periodic changing delaytime.
These random changes can be small, large, both and anything in between at any point on time axis.
Unforeseeable without testing.
There is no 15-20 ms, it can be any values depending on the system´s issues.
It´s pretty much recognizable far under 15ms.
Yes ! You're right ! 15-20ms is the smallest delay between 2 short sounds human ears can detect. But much less time jitter is hearable in modern music. And sometimes, when I move back or forward some snare shot, for instance, by just 3 or 5 ms, the effect is really noticeable.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote: Yes ! You're right ! 15-20ms is the smallest delay between 2 short sounds human ears can detect. But much less time jitter is hearable in modern music. And sometimes, when I move back or forward some snare shot, for instance, by just 3 or 5 ms, the effect is really noticeable.
Thx !
I´ve found the since a long time unavailable 64Bit version of EVC MIDI-Test application in my archive.
Cannot test because I´m still on 32Bit systems, but hope it works.
miditest64412.zip
(204.69 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I tried the miditest but impossible to get any result and one's I loaded it and clicked on 'test', impossible to kill the app in the task manager !

So, I can't indicate you any result..
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

Thanks for the detailed response Faxi,
(And all the rest of the info in the other posts)

My "learning curve" included coming up against all these "challenges" (tempo sync, midi drift, and oscs/envelopes "irregularities")

I have been using Silentway and audio ramps for some "sync" duties (I heard about the USAMO before it was released ... Sounds like a proper tool in the fight against midi jitter - but darn expensive ...."

(I also saw there is the scope vst device that might do something like silentway but havent tried it yet .... You can also set up something similar to the silent-way "gate" with audio or a vst (that send audio to modular)

I havent found a way to drive non-modular synths (ProTone and the likes) with audio (therefore USAMO could be great for that)

My 0.02$ - I have read and noticed that on my 32bit XP system , there is a sort of sync drift (something to do with the internal clocks in the PC) - and restarting cubase after a long time that it has been running seems to make the MIDI performance tighter)

(I always solo the midi track that I bounce - to assist midi timing - and also to avoid pops and clicks ...)

Yogi
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

cheers mate, i actually think i got your problem wrong though and the others here like fra and jopo got it right.

seems like what you wrote here is probably the best solution:
(I always solo the midi track that I bounce - to assist midi timing - and also to avoid pops and clicks ...)
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Yogimeister

Post by Yogimeister »

As far as I am concerned , you were all right - I have been dealing (and postedin the past about) all 3 types of problems ..

I think the OP was talking about jitter - but not sure (sharp bass sounds suffer from non-synced Oscs/Envelopes too) ;)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote:I tried the miditest but impossible to get any result and one's I loaded it and clicked on 'test', impossible to kill the app in the task manager !

So, I can't indicate you any result..
Sounds weird.
That 64Bit version is from 2011, dunno which Windows version is expected though ...

The 32Bit version works perfect.

I believe, you cannot kill it as long as the test runs.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Does this test take more than 3mn ? If it does, I've not been enough patient... But that would be weird, no ? 3mn to mesure some ms delay ?