Advice needed - recording a rock'n roll band

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

Advice needed - recording a rock'n roll band

Post by Nebukadneser »

Tonight and tomorrow I will be recording some friends' rock and roll band at my workplace where there is a studio set up installed by a semi pro recording guy. I have spent som hours thinking how to best set up my computer for this, and I would appreciate some feedback from other Scope users. They are a 4 piece band: Drums, Bass, Guitar #1, Guitar #2 and the 2 guitarists sing.

My main idea is:

Signal path into Cubase SX 2.2:

<Z - Link 1 - 8 Source> -- Connected to -- <ASIO 2 1-8 Destination>

Next: From Cubase into my Scope 24/48 Mixer. All mixing and processing will be done in the Scope environment:

<ASIO 2 1-12 Source> -- Connected to -- <STM 24/48 1 - 12>

Signal path from STM 24/48 to sound system:

<STM 24/48 Mix out L/R> -- Connected to -- <Z - link 1/2> -- Goes to mixer/sound system
<STM 24/48 MON out L/R> -- Connected to -- <Z - link 7/8> -- Goes to separate monitor mix

How do you feel about this set up - will it work or has it disadvantages. I see other people run the signal from SOURCE -- > STM24/48 --> ASIO DESTINATION. I want to have the STM AFTER Cubase.

Any thoughts?

Greetings

Neb
Funky r

Post by Funky r »

You want to record instrument separatly?
If I was you, I'll use Asio 2 dest 64 & asio 2 flt source.
Between the Z-link source & asio 2 dest 64, i'll put a meterbridge to control level.
If you want tou record live 8 channel will be not enough.
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Yes - I want to record all tracks separately and as many at one time as possible.

Drums will have 2 mono tracks 2 stereo (Kick, Snare, Toms x2 and overhead x2)
Bass will be using 1 mono
Guitar #1 1 mono
Guitar #2 1 mono
Vocals #1 1mono

More Vocals will be added after

OR I will have to add an ADAT module for more INs.

I'll do 24 BITS 48 khz

Does this make sense?

Neb
Funky r

Post by Funky r »

yes it have sense.
But if I where you I'll use mono track for kick, snare, tom medium & floor tom. and stereo track for overhead. Or maybie mono track for overhead left and mono track for overhead Right. Because if the hi hat is too high you can just adjust the level for 1 of overhead. But stero track is ok too. But for tom prefer mono trck because if you want to use compressor or gate it will be more easy, because they don't sound the same.

What are the mic you are going to use? And what mic can you have?
pollux

Post by pollux »

You could also use a dedicated mono mic for the bass drum, one for the snare, and one for the toms each of them strongly gated to avoid background noise, plus the two overheads for the cymbals, then one for the guitar, one for the bass and then one for the vocals, as you say.
If you have enough preamps / inputs, you can also use DI boxes to "split" the guitar / bass signals so that you have two tracks for each: one direct before the amp, and one miked on the amp that you mix afterwards.

Probably recording the vocals in a separate step would improve their clarity since otherwise the vocals mic will be "polluted" by the instruments.

Have fun!

Raul
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Thank you for your input guys!

Just home from the recording session.

Cubase & Scope performs rock solid!

We managed to set up the studio equipment, run through 4 songs and record drums and bass and lead/guide takes of 2x guitar and lead vocals. Tomorrow we'll be doing it all from scratch but more thoroughly, and then do individual takes of guitars and vocals.

Again, the Scope / Cubase is brilliant!

Neb
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

I use Cubase 2.2 on my Carillon PIII 1Ghz machine w/ 512 Mb ram. I also use Windows 2000, which is stable. I have found that I don't need anything more poweful for my 3 CW cards (Luna ii, Pulsar i and pulsar ii).

Neb
voidar

Re: Advice needed - recording a rock'n roll band

Post by voidar »

Scope is indeed a great setup for recording.
With minimal outboard you can easily set up individual mixes for all performers and record what you want. If they're a tight band you could even whip out the VDAT.

I recently recorded a band at location (just drums) and it really got me back to using standard mode (been using XTC-mode for a while). Even at the mixing stage. With REAPERs hardware inserts it's a breeze.