Sp dif prob...I have it since about 6 years or maybe more :S

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

7skies

Sp dif prob...I have it since about 6 years or maybe more :S

Post by 7skies »

Hello guys, That s my 1st help need :)
Well, I ve got Luna II, I see a spdif but damn, I ve never understood how to use it :
Is it only for the clock, or U can use it as digital input or output 4 audio???
If yes, how, I don t really realyzed with which cable, do I need a simple metal jack (like ipod headphones...)or optical Jack???
That s because I ve never saw a spidif with a jack connection, usualy it s rca or aes ebu

Last question, if spdif can be used as in out , do I need to set something on sfp routing win ? tnx a lot for help :D
Cheerzzz
Stompa81

Post by Stompa81 »

Im Pretty sure It Acts as a In and and out (DIG IN / DIG OUT), I have a pulsar 2 and in the Scope Routing window there is " SP/Dif - Source" and "SP/Dif - Dest" connected to the mixer. Haven't Tested the Port yet , I will next week When my Virus TI gets here.

Edit:- The Cable you need is Just a Unbal RCA Stereo. You Should only be plugging other devices with the SP/Dif interface into it, It can not Convert Analouge to Digital so there should be no cables with metal Jacks involved
ali

Post by ali »

google is your best friend.

simply google stereo mini jack to RCA you get the picture.
Attachments
minijackadaptor.jpg
minijackadaptor.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
Last edited by ali on Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ali

Post by ali »

Or this
Attachments
mini jack adapter.jpg
mini jack adapter.jpg (2.89 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
7skies

Post by 7skies »

well Ali, I really thank U sooooo much, even if yesterday creamware support replyed me and show me that cable lol
anyway, I appraciate the help a lot ;)
I think I won t be lost anymore in cw world :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, if everything would be that easy... ;)

the cable with the ministereo-2RCA may (seem to) work, in particular if it's very short. But it can in no way be guaranteed - S/pdif requires a 75 Ohm certified cable, and afaik no such thing exists with the connectors shown above.

the usual approach would be to use the adapter from picture 1 plus 2 certified cables for digital audio.
The (cheaper, often yellow jacked) 2xRCA video cables for 'multimedia' also seem to work (at least they ARE 75 Ohm).

I once tried a 2m 'regular' audio cable and it was the perfect emulator for vinyl surface noise :D
just listen closely...

cheers, Tom
7skies

Post by 7skies »

Well, studio monitor aren t that far from my sp diff ext so I think it gonna be ok, and well, I already have poltergeist on my cables ahahah sometimes I listen terrible noises .... are they ghost or deamons in my studio :lol:???
anyway, I ll be in studio in few hours so I can finally try how it worxxx \o/
I ll let U know.
Last think...so luna spi diff worxxx as in and out right?
Ceeeeereez
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, the Luna can do the s/pdif round-trip (for fx processing) trick - my Pulsar One cannot.
If you want to send the s/pdif signal to your monitors, you'd need the adapter anyway, as it's just one (output) cable and the (first) monitor passes it on (at least on my DS30).
You will not want to have the (empty half) receiving cable dangling around unconnected. It will catch even more Poltergeists and most likely influence the parallel (sending) line.

In that constellation you cannot use the 'receiving' part of s/pdif, if Scope is the clockmaster (which usually is the case).

you'll have to sync Scope as slave to the sending s/pdif unit (and keep the latter powered) if you want to send and receive from different units.
this may read a bit complicated, but it's absolutely logic - it's the flaws of the s/pdif specifications.

cheers, Tom