Osiris XP?

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

Hello Z!
just a quicky question, i notice that osiris is going cheap (well, cheaper than usual) in the summer sale..
But i have no idea how it sounds?
Does anyone use it? - thoughts please!
And also how does it fare next to the waves plugs - x-noise, and z-noise?
anyone made a comparision... i'm really interested in this plug but dont know how useable etc it is...
Cheers,
Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

very simple, very good.
if you are going to do restoration semi-professionally, this might be a great choice. it's not perfect, like all the others, but the algo is a little better than most others that i've heard.

afaik, algorythmix, the developer of the process, is one of the top devolopers of this technology(noise reduction). it's my understanding that this is about a half step or less down from their professional suites http://www.algorithmix.com/en/denoiser_pro.htm and http://www.algorithmix.com/en/descr_pro.htm which are pretty pricey.
astroman

Post by astroman »

the summer special price is a very good deal, you get one class above what's sold on a regular base in this domain (not restricted to Creamware).
I have the original Osiris and fed the examples of Osiris XP to it.
On vinyl it's an improvement - not a groundbreaking difference, but definetely better. The main advantage for this type of application is that you can use it reltime, (once you have the proper settings) to avaid the digitize to file, process file write an output file.
I've had the pleasure to talk with the developer on phone :smile:

He said regarding typical vinyl artifacts there is not too much to improve (if you already have a good algorithm), but the noise reduction was significantly improved over the original Osiris.
Imho (I haven't tried it yet) it might yield an additional reduction of the record player specific noise.
For tapes etc he mentioned it would really shine.

I've also tried their (and other) low cost solutions (up to 200 Euro) and the OLD Osiris outperformed them all.
But you do NOT get their 2.5K Euro software for bargain - this is a product on it's own placed in between.
The summer special just puts it in the 'entry area' from the payment point of view.

cheers, Tom
pseudojazzer

Post by pseudojazzer »

Thanks Guys,
Gary - think those other ones are a little too expensive at the mo.. Would be nice though. :wink:
Tom - Is the original osiris still available? I have used x-noise on mics and guitar signals, and it does help on mic noise, and unwanted low level guitar noise, So i'll probably go with that - i'd love to put all my vinyl and tapes onto the comp - but realistically thats gonna take a really long time... although i did see a usb turntable the other day - dunno who made it - but its designed to record to your HDD form vinyl - doubt its got any resotation stuff on it - but a cool idea nevertheless.
Take it easy,
Tom
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2006-08-25 07:54, pseudojazzer wrote:
...Tom - Is the original osiris still available?...
kind of, (not new of course) as part of a TripleDat package on eBay :wink:
they show up quite frequently, but the 'special price' Osiris XP is a way better deal, because...

Osiris runs only as a Triple plugin, that means you need a computer running Win98.

For the AD conversion you'd probably prefer something different than the Triple board (dunno specs, but I guess it's 16/16 bit, probably 14-15 bits effectively).

TripleDat/Osiris is 16 bit anyway, but (according to my humble ears) the 20bit converters of the Pulsar One deliver 'reliable' 16 bits.

With a Scope system the Triple board (if present) would act as a dongle, so you could use the SFP Triple plugin for free - on a Win98PC with an ISA slot that is... :wink:

bottomline - a total mess of conditions and restrictions, and even if you get a Triple/Osiris for 50 Euro, you'd still need a dedicated PC box...

Unfortunately I forgot to ask, but Osiris XP may take advantage of 24 bit converters, so this IS a really good offer by CWA imho.

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2006-08-25 14:31 ]</font>
scary808

Post by scary808 »

Buy a new app. Adobe Audition has more effective restoration tools & if I'm not mistaken, cheaper. It is also among the best audio editors I've used.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: scary808 on 2006-08-28 01:51 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

obviously not in the vinyl domain, according to this faq of an Audition plugin (ClickFix).

ClickFix is based on statistics only and completely avoids modifications of the spectral content of the signal (interesting approach worth cross-checking imho) - works also with CoolEdit.

Audition is certainly a good program (I don't have XP), but I've been tempted frequently to buy one or the other 'soundcard' just for the bundled CoolEdit license :wink:

cheers, Tom
decimator

Post by decimator »

I'am a very happy owner of Osiris XP since a few days ! 8)
I have many vinyls in decent condition I wanted to digitalize because I just hate the handling / not patient and definitely don't care about the " ritual of vinyl playing " :oops:
I must say that after the treatment I don't feel I'am hearing a vinyl anymore which was the goal !

On noise reduction " sub section " : there's a a big " Learn " ( noise profile ) where you can record and eliminate the background noise before you record anything ( and it's already quite something ... ) beware !! not recalled by presets : do it on each turntable powerup ( some seconds to record : press Learn ------- repress learn )

No presets provided but given the number of parameters and range I don't think you would make a little more than ten , furthermore you should be quickly easy with it ...

The BIG plus is the possibility to hear what you want to reject ( most tweaks done on that level for me ) well, there are some sharp attacks of course that will be somewhat " clicks and crackles " assimilated then it's up to you to put the cursor (s) on what you want to keep and lose because you 're going to sacrifice some audio at some stage anyway ... but frankly I'am quite happy with the gains : very close to " CD quality " when before you could easily tell it was some damn vinyl ! :x