A question about FX...

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

___crisis___1

Post by ___crisis___1 »

i was reading an article in computer music, about getting a better bass sound. it was talking about sending the bass through a delay, and having the bass hit dry, then putting a filter, distortion, and maybe even reverb on the echo. how would one go about doing this?

the only way i could think of, was to automate the fx to come on and off? but is there some way to route the signal so that only the echo of the delay gets filter/distortion/reverb, or any other fx?
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Just load the delay/dist/etc as an Aux, then you can have the dry signal in the channel and send some of it to get delayed and distorted etc.

You could also use up a second mixer track, i.e. have one mixer track with the dry signal, and another with a filter/delay/distortion. Just set the delay to 100% wet.
___crisis___1

Post by ___crisis___1 »

ok... but once you have it all setup, you still have to automate the aux send, or the mixer channel right? cause if not, then th whole signal will get effected.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

can't you just send the bass to a reverb, and use the predelay on the reverb? By the way, room reverb on low end works great. You just need to have the low pass set really low. You get the "woof" right in the mix.
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

On 2006-01-15 08:22, ___crisis___1 wrote:
ok... but once you have it all setup, you still have to automate the aux send, or the mixer channel right? cause if not, then th whole signal will get effected.
No, if you load the filter/delay/dist as Aux effects and set the delay to 100% wet, only the delay/echo will get effected, the main signal will remain completely dry.

You can still automate the Aux, but that will only control how much dry signal you send to be effected (i.e. control the amount of delay,) not if only the echo gets effected.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

For the best bass sound is good to process its mid-high & high spectrum, leaving the bass bottom untouched, otherwise you loose punch.

Check this device:

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... orum=16&15

:smile: