SFP routing in Ableton Live

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

greenbluegold

ableton uc33 usb midi CC assignment

Post by greenbluegold »

I'm trying to set up ableton and SFP so that I can connect a UC33 midi controller by USB to ableton, pipe it into SFP and assign MIDI CCs from the faders to parameters in SFP.
I set up an ableton midi track, assigned the input to the USB device and sent the output to Creamware midi input. I move a slider on the UC33, and I see from the activity lights in Ableton that midi is going in and out, however SFP does not detect it.
I assigned a fader CC to a parameter in ableton, and then SFP was able to detect a cc message coming in, however it did not have the full range of the fader, really just on and off.
I don't want to use the midi cable out from the uc33. Has anybody got this set up to work properly by USB ( I see hints in this thread that they have)and could explain what it is I need to set to make it work right.
It doesn't make sense to me that I would have to assign the fader to an ableton parameter before it would send the CC message on to SFP.

thanks
Tau

Post by Tau »

bluegreengold:

That's how I usually do it:

- set up a track in live with input: UC33 and output: Creamware MIDI
- set input monitoring to on (or auto AND rec enable)
- connect the corresponding SeqMIDI source module in sfp to MIDI in of device
- set the MIDI channel of the device to the same channel as the ableton live track

This should work.

BTW: if you have the UC33 Midi input set to "remote" in the preferences page, it will only control Ableton Live's parameters. I'm guessing this is what's happening there. You have to set that off in order to route MIDI CCs directly to the MIDI output of the track.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Live is great to use with SFP!

Cheerz,

T