Level differences exporting tracks

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Hi.

Audio tracks mastered on CDs sound low.

I actually work in Nuendo 2, setting the output level in the mixdown track so close as possible to zero, searching the compromise between a loud sound with no clips and low compression ratios for more dynamics.
Listening the tracks by Nuendo, through Asio source modules, the levels on STM 1632 correspond to what I see in Nuendo mixer VU meters.
When I export tracks and listen to them as wav files through wave source modules, the level is much dBs lower, and that is what I gonna master on CDs.
I've tryed several ASIO modules with the same result. I've tryed different exportation forms (as track, as audio mixdown, reading wav files in Nuendo project Edits directory).
Finally, the same file sounds different in level if I play it by Nuendo or as wav file by Wavelab or other applications.
What's the right expotation form for mixdowns? Any hint?
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's got nothing to do with asio and it's got everything to do with dynamics. the peaks can be at zero, but if the average level is low, then it will sound low. creative use of limiting/compression is the key to sounding "loud". do some searches under "mastering".
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

The same dynamic range I've obtained using various tricks, is shifted a lot of dBs lower (as I can see in the STM Vu meter and as I can hear) if I play it back out of Nuendo, and so it's too close to the noise floor.
Do U mean search by Google?
hubird

Post by hubird »

no, planetz :smile:
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Have you tried playing the track out of Nuendo, in Winamp/SoundRec/WMP/Soundfroge/Cooledit or similar programs? If you listen to it thru Nuendo, it might go thru the mixer again, might explain why it doesn't sound as loud, like if the mixer's levels aren't at 0dB etc.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Sure, in Nuendo mixer the track fader and the master fader are set to zero.
And in the Media Player, Real player, and so on, the output level is set to maximum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cochise on 2004-11-25 12:34 ]</font>
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Now it works.
It's weird!
It's like sometimes I get -5 dB from wave source.
mitkofen

Post by mitkofen »

On 2004-11-25 13:35, Cochise wrote:
Now it works.
It's weird!
It's like sometimes I get -5 dB from wave source.
Hi!
How do you fix that!?
him

Post by him »

we can press"shift+S" and choose the output as "0db" cause the default is "-3db" .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: him on 2005-02-16 03:47 ]</font>