Tweaking XP.....Topic for Newbie Section

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

emzee

Post by emzee »

Within this thread, please post any relevant info or links. These will be edited later for the "Newbie Section"
hubird

Post by hubird »

with this subject title you're excluding mac users on forhand.
hubird

Post by hubird »

with this subject title you're excluding mac users on forhand.
borg

Post by borg »

mmm, well, lets start another thread then for mac. seems pretty obvious to me to make seperate threads...
and, by the way, the already existing thread samplaire started a while ago for mac seems rather comprehensive to me... obvious, like mac should be :smile:

gotta cook for the boys now
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
emzee

Post by emzee »

This was just an example. I was hoping others would set up threads they felt appropriate eg. FAQ, Mac Tips. If no one else will, I spose I'll do it.....later.
emzee

Post by emzee »

Regarding tweaking XP......as a beginner to Creamware, unless you're familiar with your system...I would suggest minimal or no tweaks. Just get started. Leave the XP tweaking until you've got SFP working to your liking. This removes a potential source of problems, and lets you focus on the basics of SFP.

Post by Guest »

Lets us start by how to install WinXP :

1. for XP and CW to work properly, winXP must be installed in Standard mode (single CPU's)

To install XP in standard mode, press F5 during installation when it prompt you to Press F6 to install SCSI device. This will take you to a page and allow you to select Standard PC.

After XP is installed in standard PC. make sure you get the latest service pack and all its critical update then proceed to update the ASPI layer for your OS (XP and win2K)

then you are ready to install the DSP card.

the DSP card has to be on its own IRQ.
there are good IRQs to choose from .
IRQ 5
IRQ 9
IRQ 10
IRQ 11

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: antar on 2003-11-19 15:15 ]</font>
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

antar, that Standard mode is just viable for win 2000. XP handles ACPI better, especially on newer motherboards. scroll down to "Problems with single CPU systems and Windows 2000/XP " on http://www.rme-audio.com/english/faq/faqnewe.htm

RME says on that site that the worst thing to do is to use Standard-PC mode with the latest generation of single CPU motherboards using Windows XP, since these boards offers 15 interrupts on Standard mode, but 24 on ACPI. Its a recommended reading.
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

i'm on a i850 mobo and as it seems steadier running on standard PC.

when i use(d) acpi i got occasional/irregular pops even when when i hit the pause button in Logic..

so my "advice" for those on i850 would be: standard PC, a psu that provides more than 350 watts, set processor to "background services" , and above all:
check your running processes! i heard at0m!c got down to 7 or something!? these background ghosts really mess with your processor/RAM.

by the way, please STOP this unneccesary babbling in threads that actually have a purpose!
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

On 2004-02-18 23:07, siberiansun wrote:

by the way, please STOP this unneccesary babbling in threads that actually have a purpose!
?
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

.... well, check the beginning of this thread and several other beginnigs/ends of threads and you'll see.