Experimenting with eq->distortion

A space for learning and studying the Scope environment and music-making in general.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Some of you may know that I've been experimenting with the eq->distortion combo recently. And here's some sound examples of how it may fit into your sound creation chain. The example here is where I beef up a whimpy sounding drum track by means of mastering it and saturating it.

I have examples of 2 set ups. First one, with some commercial plugins looks like:
Wav source->masterverb->celmo's subbass->DSPDEV Multicomp->EQ->Distortion

An alternative setup I also experimented with is:
Wav source->masterverb->celmo's subbass->DSPDEV Multicomp->SpaceF Super Frogamp

The second setup, made of all free devices look like:
Wav source->masterverb->Finaliza->EQ->Distortion

So, just a few examples of how to set things up. Notice that the finaliza setup actually has better dynamics. This is because DSPDEV Multicomp has a limiter in the chain, and it flattens the sound out a little. So, finaliza may actually increase you dynamic range, but because of the distortion coming after it, the dynamics is preserved, while increasing percieved loudness. I may have to turn off the limiter on DSPDEV Multicomp.

I hope you found this usefull.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2003-09-17 06:59 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi kensuguro.
Is it normal that you put reverb before the compression ? it is sometime a desired effect to have reverb compressed (it can create really nice effects), but the post distortion can distort the reverb too.
Just in case.... Nice demos (there's one i prefer over the others though :smile:
(I hope to improve it in the future)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2003-11-03 08:06 ]</font>