problems with soundfont-import in STS samplers

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

- STS only imports *one* of the presets within a soundfont
- velocity-switching and envelopes are often translated incorrectly or not at all
- in general: the more "complex" a soundfont, the worse the imported result gets

Anyone can confirm these problems?

Creamware: fix this please :grin:
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Yes, importing SF-files makes strange results sometimes.
If I like the sample, I try to export it into .sts-format. Then I can tweak it as I want, velo-switches, filters, envelopes etc.
But sometimes it's a hard peace of work.
Wish you much patience!
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2003-06-11 11:40, ernest@303.nu wrote:
- STS only imports *one* of the presets within a soundfont
I don't remember it exactly but once I discovered how to import the whole preset: I think it was draging the sf2 file straight to the 'pool' window. But I'm not sure (don't use much SF2 files). And yes, I have had problems with SF2 files occasionaly - no sound, strange system messages (not sfp but my Mac's)
ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

I will try that, Samplaire.....
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I worked with sf2 sample banks in the past.
If I remember right I draged them directly into the pool, load them all,prg change on etc. and draged the same file(s) into the main window, too. Most time it worked.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2003-06-12 06:27 ]</font>
ernest@303.nu

Post by ernest@303.nu »

Thanks!
It works.... Somehow....
not quite perfect yet(still problems with velocity-layers and envelopes) and a couple of soundsfonts (which play fine on a SoundBlaster) don't load at all, but it's getting closer!

It's a pity that SoundFont import doesn't work as advertised by Creamware.... there are a couple of nice SF2's on the internet (multisampled and velocity-layered piano's and drumkits, for example)

Reminds me of Creamware *REALLY* being in need of creating an updated sampler series, after the Noah-project is finished! The softsampler-competition is really tough these days
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

I read a thread over at KVR where they were comparing SF2 import.
And NO soft sampler so far does it perfect!!

The best one so far is the Jeskola JX 1.
So CW isn't the only ones struggling with SF2.

Au contraire mon ami.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

The problems with SF2 is in the standard itself, I suppose. I think the SF2 banks made on a SB card use the cards internal sounds and there are only aliases to the sounds rather than real samples in the SF2 file. When such bank is loaded on a softsampler like the STS it looses paths and we get those strange messages. But I'm only guessing.

I tried to load SF2 banks made by my brother (on his SB equipped PC) and some of them were opened properly and some of them caused my computer to freeze. We tried to figure which banks are bugful but we failed in the investigation :sad: