TONS free samples!!!!!

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

http://theremin.music.uiowa.edu/MIS.html

you can find HUGE MULTISAMPLED. they are AIFF, you have to build your own STS instruments

Flute
Alto Flute
Bass Flute
Oboe
Eb Clarinet
Bb Clarinet
Bass Clarinet
Bassoon
Soprano Saxophone
Alto Saxophone
French Horn
Tenor Trombone
Bass Trombone
Cello
Double Bass
Piano

from the page:

The University of Iowa Musical Instrument Samples were created by Lawrence Fritts, Director of the Electronic Music Studios and Associate Professor of Composition at the University of Iowa in 1997.

The instruments were recorded in the Anechoic Chamber in the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Center at The University of Iowa on the following equipment:

• Neumann KM 84 Cardioid Condensor Microphone
• Mackie 1402-VLZ Mixer

• Panasonic SV-3800 DAT Recorder
The recordings were digitally transferred to Macintosh Power PC 8500 though a Digidesign Audiomedia III interface (1997-1999) or to a Macintosh G4 through a Digidesign Digi-001 digital interface (2000-present).

The recordings were edited into soundfiles in Digidesign Sound Designer II (1997-1999) or Bias Peak (2000-present) consisting chromatic scales at three non-normalized dynamic levels, pp, mf, ff.

Each note is approximately 2 seconds long and is immediately preceded and followed by ambient silence.

Some instruments are recorded with and without vibrato. String instrument recordings include arco (bowed) and pizzicato (plucked). The only non-anechoic instrument is the piano, which was recorded in a small faculty teaching studio.

All samples are in mono, 16 bit, 44.1 kHz, AIFF format. The exception is the piano, which is recorded in stereo.

The Anechoic Chamber in the Wendell Johnson Speech and Hearing Center is housed in a 27,000 cubic foot space (30' x 30' x 30') that is isolated from the rest of the building. The chamber is further isolated within the "vault" in that its contact with the floor, walls, and ceiling is through a series of springs. The 36" baffles which fill the floor, walls, and ceiling contribute to sound absorption properties that extend down to 60 Hz.

Please feel free to use these samples in your research or music projects without restriction. You may also cite as a reference, link to our page from another web page, or provide a link in a publication using the following URL:

http//:theremin.music.uiowa.edu/

Please let us know how these samples are being used in your research, creative work, or recreation by contacting Lawrence Fritts at the University of Iowa.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

wow. I'm gonna try converting the piano one. This'll be a bit of labor. :smile: let ya all know when it gets done.
bosone

Post by bosone »

i didn't listen to the sample yet (i'm still at university where i'm supposed to work! :razz:)
i downloaded oboe and french horn.
i propose to make sts program for all this samples altogether... everyone download every aiff files for all instruments, make is wav conversion and editing. we choose all the same names for the wav samples and we post the sts bank without the wav files, so that we can rebuil every instrument
do you like this idea? :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

keeping the wav filenames constant seems to be a good idea... let's just take the aif off the filename, for example: Piano.pp.Eb1.wav
And I'm expecting to edit the wave files a bit so I'm not sure if everyone should download the wav files... instead, the editors can send all the edited wav files to my ftp server, where people can download the sts file+wav, or just the sts file if that's what they prefer. What do you think? I think the softer samples need to be normalized to keep the volume consistant... have to check though.
bosone

Post by bosone »

for me is a good idea, if you have space! :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

tell me when it's done, and I'll mail you the login and password. I'll also tell you which directory to put it. :smile:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I'm not sure that the quality of the samples are up to the conversion... most of the piano samples have clicks in them.

Especially the piano FF samples.
FF Ab4, Ab5, Ab6 all definitely have clicks. (well, most all of them do) Can someone varify? It's hard to believe that a project of this magnitude would produce samples with clicks... it would be hilarious if it was true.

So due to these things, I think I'm going to call it quits on the conversion idea.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-12-20 08:25 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Don't be so surprised Ken, in the Vitous Orchestra, which cost a bundle to say the least, the violin was out of tune, and all samples had tremolo, not at the same speed.

Some program even had some mixed wav in them!

For example, the solo violin was going like this :

C-D-G-F-E-A-B !!!

And if you take samples alone, one by one, most of them had sssshhh in them. How about hi quality stuff? Ha, this make me laugh, i was not laughing at the time though...

I returned the CDs...
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

Anybody converted them yet?