Loading Stereo Samples

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Post by braincell »

When I load stereo akai format samples (and most of my library is stereo), All the samples come out on one channel and it takes me forever to put every other sample on another channel. If I decide not to use that bank all that time was wasted. This is the single most frustrating thing about the STS series for me. Why did Creamware do this to me? Does anyone have an easier way that isn't going to cost me a lot of money? I
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

For me too - nobody else??
Steve
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Stereo AKAI samples??? I thought, AKAI samples are always mono!
Do you speak of PROGRAMS or SOUNDS instead of samples? Would be another case...
I don't have trouble with stereo AKAI programs, all samples are on that place where they belong.
Do you use the Edit-all-knob? It works fine when you assign an output or adjust the pan or other things.
Please describe more details, perhaps I can help.

Greetz, Thomas

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Herr Voigt on 2003-02-27 18:39 ]</font>
braincell

Post by braincell »

Okay programs... anyway it is very tedious to correct. When you load a program and in the key editor the first sample says "L" the second "R" and so on. You may have 100 samples and every other sample has to be assigned to another output, after all that work you might decide you don't even want to use that program. This takes a lot of time away from your time to make music!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2003-03-01 18:09 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2003-03-01 18:10 ]</font>
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Well, braincell, I never wanted to be tedious, I only want to avoid misunderstandings.
I can understand your annoyance about such programs, and the time you have to spend with correction is not a lucky one.
1. I never worked with such large multisamples (only one - a good Steinway).
2. I agree with you about programs written in such style: every sample a new keygroup. These programs must be terrible ones. I have only programs where a right and a left sample are in the same keygroup. They are easy and fast to edit.
3. I have no experiences as you described. No AKAI sample CD I ever copied to my HD had such bad written programs.

Cheers, Thomas
braincell

Post by braincell »

Am I doing something wrong? My samples all load into the same keygroup. Do you use the main out or the individual outs? I never use the main out because I need more than just 2 outputs.
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

I thought the seperate output's are mono channels anyway,I don't see how you can send one programm to different channels, or am I missing somthing.?
I've been fighting also longtime with this stereo problem.
also if you drag a stereo wave file into the sts it sees it as one sample on one channel. Is there a way to do this to get two samples?

Terranova-amsterdam
braincell

Post by braincell »

The individual outs can be used either as mono outs or stereo pairs. They go 1&2 3&4 etc. The pans are within the STS, of course the pairs should be panned hard left and right on your mixer.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Virtualstudio, when you drag a stereo sample into STS, you have to do it twice in one keygroup. The second has to be right (Keygroups/Options/Zones/Sample). Then you have to spread the pan in the Keygroups/Options/Zones/Main, too.
Or you split your stereo sample into two mono ones, if you want to economise RAM. But this would be a harder piece of work.

Good luck, Thomas
braincell

Post by braincell »

Why can't you just load them all in at once as you would on an akai?
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Nothing is perfect ... :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Herr Voigt on 2003-03-15 17:59 ]</font>
MCCY

Post by MCCY »

Loading Samples twice does not cause double cachusage. Thats very nice about sts. So if you use a stereo wav with 1MB twice in STS it will still use 1MB.

Even better: If you use only the left/right site, it uses only 0.5MB!

Martin
spiderman

Post by spiderman »

no problem at all here with stereo prog on sts3000 !!
L and R are just at the right place ..