So is it impossible to imitate real instruments?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Adi Soffer

Post by Adi Soffer »

Actually I'm a bit embaressed to say I've never heard of the man... But that's what the net's for...
I have to say that I as well have been a drummer (mainly jazz) for 12 years, and like yourself have gathered I've spent twelve years without dealing wit the more interesting aspects of music: harmonics and melodic comlexity.

In contrast to your assumption, not the percussive elements I find interesting but rather the melodic and harmonic in Zappa's works. Any way, other beautifull stuff, to my ears, that can be included under broad "Modern", are works by Stavinsky, Berio, Wim Mertens, Gavin Bryars and some more names.

Now i'll search for your guy...

Adi
eliam

Post by eliam »

Hykes is not very known... If you've seen the film Baraka, you've heard some of his stuff. He's singing with a technique called "harmonic or diphonic singing", with which the high-pitched harmonics of the voice are much amplified. I learned to do it myself, and it's great! I'll record some of it soon and I might share it here...
Adi Soffer

Post by Adi Soffer »

Just heard the guy. I know this technique, and find it interesting, although I'm not sure Hykes is taking it to it's more interesting conclusions. I've heard just three pieces though...

Anyway, send some stuff, I'd love to hear.
(not sure I'll commit to do the same though...:wink: )
braincell

Post by braincell »

eliam,

I read your posts. You seem very picky but let me ask you this. Do you think every note of a real piano is exactly the same volume? Of course it would be impossible to find out unless we test it on a player piano. I'm sure the results would be far worse than the giga studio out of the box. I am sure you are wasting your time with that because no human being can play exactly the velocity 0-127. Another point about the tuning in the miroslav vitous. I wonder if during the course of an evening the tuning of individual instruments go slightly off. Does that ruin the performance? If all the violins etc. were tuned exactly the same it would sound very strange and not have the chorus effect that we hear.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I understand your points...

For sure, even the best piano is not absolutely homogenous, but my point is: when I play on my keyboard, I don't want to have notes or zones which respond too differently than the rest. And it's not as subtle as you seem to think... On the piano samples I've been reprogramming, there were some very noticeable inconsistencies regarding the volume, which I assure you are not in my imagination!

As for tuning, well... you're right in saying that all the notes of a performance aren't exactly on the pitch... Actually, a violinist corrects the note he plays after the attack. A good sequence will try to mimic such effects to reach a higher realism, but if the samples are out of tune in the beginning... it's a bit like playing on an untuned guitar. Do you think it's picky to take the time to correctly tune a guitar before playing? I don't think so, and so it is for samples, imo.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I play on a weighted keyboard. It seems fine to me. I wonder if you had the wrong velocity curve or something.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I tested it with sequencer only first and I had to adjust the volumes as I said, simply due to the human factor- someone cannot be absolutely precise and play every note of a velocity at exactly the same volume... This is normal, but needs to be compensated later with the sampler. It might also be due to the fact that I transfered from stereo to mono, maybe some notes are louder on a side, but this is unlikely...
braincell

Post by braincell »

I think it is likely depending on where the microphones were placed.
Grok

Post by Grok »

In another line completely: have you heard David Hykes' harmonic choir?
Yes, interesting in the way human voice can be modulated like a filtered synth sound (or is it the inverse?), with human head resonators acting like electronical filters (or is it the inverse?)

:smile: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grok on 2003-02-06 04:43 ]</font>
Grok

Post by Grok »

Some links on "throat singing", "harmonic singing", "overtone singing":

http://www.harmonx.com/ (I like the song: "Ballad") http://www.harmonx.com/soundclips.htm

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~sjansson/throat.htm

http://harmonicworld.com/

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... =1&catID=2

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Grok on 2003-02-13 04:48 ]</font>