STS Series Highly Underated

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Post by braincell »

I have some nice hardware synthesizers and quite frankly I have never heard a virtual synthesizer that can hold a candle to them, but samplers can play any sound. The STS series with the SFP and a new computer with tons of RAM is soooo powerful!. I wish Creawmare would focus more on new samplers in the future rather than these half assed fake synthesizers. Samples provide clear sound with much more complexity possible.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I agree. I really like working with my STS sampler... If cw would expand the capabilities a bit, like more stereo outputs, more polyphony, more layers, HD streaming, etc. it would come to compete with giga. I guess it fits many people's needs as it is, but it cannot cope with the latest multi-layered stereo sample libraries. Like instruments with 8 stereo velocities... Ok, we can use a few key groups for the same note, but the RAM and polyphony cannot follow...
braincell

Post by braincell »

Well put.

Post by Guest »

Creamware definally needs to develop a new sampler to compite with new software samplers on the market today.
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

Please Creamware, fix the STS xxxx crackles under Windows XP

Thanx,
Miguel
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Comparing samplers and synthesizers is like comparing apples and bananas!!

"samples provide clear sound with much more complexity possible"

as opposed to what? Don't synthesizers generate clear sound? They can generate very complex sounds (just look at AbSynth) but just totally different from a sampler.

Okay so a good sampler is in the end more versatile than a synth but synths have a certain character that will never be retained if you just sample a bunch of noted off a synth.

I really would like to see the STS get more like a modern sampler/synth, with much more options to actually change the sound rather than just play it.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

<i>Please Creamware, fix the STS xxxx crackles under Windows XP </i>

Plays perfectly on my system under XP: SFP3.1a, Logic, XP, 1.8Ghz P4... all drums (8+ channels) with tight timing.

Personally 8 velocity layers and HD streaming are not interesting to me <i>at all</i>, but I understand everyone has different requirements and works differently. Besides, you can easily get 8 velocity layers using more than 1 keygroup. I even think ChickenSys translator (correct me if I'm wrong!) supports conversion to the multi-keygroup for STS...

I have never heard a HD streaming CD that you can buy which has any sounds I'd be at all interested in, or that would be impossible w/o HD streaming. I think it is a gimmic, a spec thing, in many cases...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-06-10 09:45 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

But hey. Specs sell. Quick sell your VA model "X" for the new model "Y" with more voices! It'll make you a better musician!

:roll:

I wouldn't, of course, be opposed to any of those additions though. :lol:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Subhuman,

Most people who use 8-layers of velocity switching and the ability to stream audio do so because this method produces very realalistic reproductions of instruments especially in the case of the piano where velocity is about the only control you have over the tone, furthermore as long as RAM is limited that streaming adds many more megs.

I can imagine patches with synthesizer samples and multiple velocity switched layers that would be very expressive.

Does anybody play anymore? I do! I think of the brain and hands as a very sophisticated sequencer.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

braincell,

I have yet to hear an 8layer velocity switched piano that really made an impression on me as "wow I need this." In fact some of my favorite piano samples are only *1* layer. :smile: And yes, I can play keys pretty well...
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Hey Subhamun, just try the Bosendorfer Grandioso Imperial.... You'll know what we mean... 8 layer, all 88 notes sampled completely from hitting the key, to complete extinction (no loop).

A 'small' footprint of 1.5 gigabytes...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I guess I'm 100% for these ideas, if they leave my STS5000 untouched, as it is perfect for everything I do; I never use sample CDs for anything but drums, I make the rest. I guess the main thing I am afraid of is a bloated "Office XP" style sampler. Maybe it would be something entirely different, or as long as it didn't effect current functionality or DSP usage or introduce new bugs...

BTW when I want a real piano sound, I use a real piano, my instrument of choice. :smile: But I guess I'm seeking new tibres and not trying to emulate real instruments, which is probably just as valid musically...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-06-10 14:14 ]</font>
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

STS 3000 XP

"It looks like you are trying to sample a piano"

I hear clippy is for hire :smile:
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

I just can't understand why people invest so much money in high-specced sampler just to have an 8-velocity layered piano! Surely no one will hear the difference? (unless you have a piano-only piece of music)
But hey, I'm a dance musician and can't play keys so I'm the last person to have a viable opinion on this. :grin:
The only sampler I use is Battery for drums, I wouldn't want to have to do that stuff in STS! It would take me ten times longer at least.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: King of Snake on 2002-06-11 09:33 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2002-06-10 14:12, subhuman wrote:
BTW when I want a real piano sound, I use a real piano, my instrument of choice. :smile:
Lucky guy :smile: I don't have enough space, and i move often... Can't have it all. Same thing for me and my bass clarinet. No sampler will ever play it as bad as me :razz:
braincell

Post by braincell »

King,

Besides music with just the piano there might be a section with a piano solo, furthermore I have a large weighted keyboard (Yahmaha S80) and I get great pleasure out of practicing with a 600 megabyte piano.
eliam

Post by eliam »

This is just a question of who needs what... But the latest sound libraries which are emerging are REALLY FAR BEYOND anything else that's been made yet.
Take the Dan Dean solo brass for instance, this library is amazing! For someone interested in creating realistic arrangements with brass instruments, imho it is unequalled.
Take the Garritan Orchestral Strings... And many others are coming which will complete and expand them. What makes it possible for these banks to exist? HD streaming.
Subhuman, HD streaming is no gadget. I used to work with a good 1 layer piano, and it cannot possibly do the job. I don't say that my 4 layer Bosendorfer could replace a real piano, but hey! there is no comparison with my previous 1 layer. And I couldn't load my Bosie anywhere but in Giga!
Since I generate almost all my sounds with a sampler, I benefit and appreciate the expanded possibilities (polyphony, loading capacity, stereo outputs, etc.) offered by Giga and not the STS family. For me it's bread and butter, I couldn't go without it!
eliam

Post by eliam »

Anyone interested in sample libraries, look here: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCG ... 002558;p=1
braincell

Post by braincell »

It does seem there is an amazing future for sample libraries. I'm hearing pro samples a lot more in documentaries etc.. If only they weren't so damn expensive.
eliam

Post by eliam »

Yes... But they're also expansive to produce... And some new libraries are "affordable" and very good compared to others... (vitous vs Garritan)