YAMAHA BC3 and STS 4000

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Post by braincell »

Does anyone know how to set up the STS 4000 for a Yamaha BC3?
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

What is a Yamaha BC3?
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's a breath control device for some yamaha synthesizers.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Can you get it to output a standard CC? (Perhaps by connecting it to a Yamaha synth with BC input and MIDI CC output)...
braincell

Post by braincell »

I need to get a little more specific here. What I really want to do is map MIDI Breath to MIDI Aftertouch. The Breath Control is MIDI CC 02, however MIDI aftertouch does not map to the Continuous Controllers, but instead has its own status. Two statuses (Is that a word?) actually, one for polyphonic aftertouch (0xAx) and another for channel aftertouch (0xDx). Polyphonic aftertouch messages include two data characters, the first specifies the note number and the second specifiying by the pressure. Channel aftertouch messages include only one data character to specify
the pressure.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

You can use Logic's environment to remap CC02 to Aftertouch, send that to the STS (it will think its standard aftertouch info if on the right midi channel). I think, but am not sure, that the STS only react to channel aftertouch? (Correct me if I'm wrong please)

If you need more specifics let me know.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Great to know I can do it in Logic.

I really want to map it to aftertouch rather than alter the patches because a lot of my patches and synthesizers are already programed for aftertouch.

Can you tell me how to map CC 02 to aftertouch in Logic? I'm new to Logic Audio.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I got this from oink at

http://sonikmatter.com/sonik/

It's quite simple. I suggest incorporating it with a switch so breath can also be switched off, since the controller will be outputting CC#2 constantly.

I do it like this.
Cable the output of the Physical Input to a cable switcher [New/fader/special/cable switcher] Then cable the top output direct to the sequencer input object, the second output to a transformer which is set to:
'Apply operation and let non-matching pass'
condition: Status=Control, -1- =2
operation: Status-fix-C-Press

And the third output from the switch to a transformer set to
'filter matching'
condition: Status=Control, -1- =2

Then cable both transformers to sequencer Input.

So the first position of the switch will just let breath go to the sequencer.
Second position will transform breath to aftertouch.
Third position will filter the breath out of the MIDI stream altogether.

Then , in your Autoload screenset, create a small floating environment window, with just this switch showing [make sure the Link switch is turned off]
That way you can set the Breath to what you wish on opening a song, then close the float.

Also a little tip on BC2/BC3 controllers. Not all users agree, but I find mine much more effective having it mounted on a boom stand, instead of using the headset.
It makes it much easier to address the mouthpiece precisely, especially for pizzicatto or staccato playing. [Have you ever noticed how limited harmonicas are when mounted on a neck-holder, or imagine how hard it would be to play a trumpet with the thing attached to your head, or even a sax with no hands].

Anway, give it a try

[ 04-26-2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: oink ]