my sts 3000 problems

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mr swim

Post by mr swim »

First and least interesting - soundfonts I create myself always appear in the sampler as 'newprogram' even though saved with their own names in my soundfont folder.

Second - Sometimes samples will just disappear from my soundfont folder. This either has no effect (i.e. the soundfont still works - pretty wierd huh?) or the soundfont will have missing samples. this might not be an sts specific problem, but it is both strange and annoying.

Third - I can't work out how any controllers (apart from basic pan/volume) can be midi controlled. 70 is meant to be cutoff controller but just doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I have not set up the filters correctly for this to have an affect, but I'm not sure how this should be done.

Fourth - since loading the version 3 software, I can't seem to change the main polyphony. In the 2.5 software, one went into presets and there was a box to change number of voices. Now there is no such box. So I don't know how many voices are on, and can't change that unknown figure to free up dsp space or get more out of the sampler. This is a real pain.

Please help !

Will.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

For changing Polyphony go up into the menu bar above and you will get a graphic drop down which will allow you to change voices. It also changes MIDI channel number on other devices.

Soundfonts just aren't properly implemented in the STS series. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Creamware needs to fix this.
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

Thanks Gregory,

Yes, Creamware certainly does need to fix this, and maybe make their manuals a bit more comprehensive as well (I'm sure this has been said many times before !). For instance, my sts 3000 has a section called 'settings' with gain knobs and something called 'external control'. The manual's picture of the 3000 does not even have this section, and certainly doesn't say what it does.
eliam

Post by eliam »

To control filters and modulate almost every parameter, you just have to set the controller you want as modulation source. As an example, I assign the velocity as a low-pass filter modulator and set a value to determine the modulation span (high value=high filtering variation, negative value=inversion of the scale). Go in keygroups/filter(select the type of filter)/mod. source(select the source you want and enter value) and it's done.

It's very simple once you know how. Try it and come back if you still don't get it.
at0m

Post by at0m »

You're right Eliam, the STS series, just like their hardware brothers from Akai, only accept one (custom) CC#. I don't like it at all.

The S-5000 can be remotely controlled via sysex, but it still can recognise only for the active program. Midi Channels selection is impossible for the sysex. This is why I don't use the samplers really. I like to remotely edit. An S5000 will recognise sysex for the active program only, so it cannot be used to tweak multiple channels in a song. Akai's AkSys (pc GUI for S5/6k series) edits the same way: If one sample program is edited, it automatically goes to 'Program' Mode and then it sends all incoming notes and controls to the active program.

Why can't I just tweak it like the Triton or GrooveBox? The modulation controls for various values can be set up just the same on the Korg sampler or MC-505, I do link cutoff freq to velo etc on these. Also pitchbend, modwheel, LFO's can be used as mod inputs, actually even all at the same time with a user set amount. Akai doesn't allow this. What's about Akai that they don't do remote or use CC#? Is there anything I'm missing?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

<i>You're right Eliam, the STS series, just like their hardware brothers from Akai, only accept one (custom) CC#. I don't like it at all. </i>

STS3k,4k=1 external assignable controller.
STS5k=10 external assignable controllers.

Remember you also have assignable Velocity, Aftertouch, LFO1, LFO2, ENV1, ENV2, ENV3 (STS5k), Pitch Bend, Modwheel (CC1)...
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

Thanks everyone.

Eliam - I will try it, and get back to you - but I'll have to wait until I get back to the UK (currently sweating in Austin, Texas).

As to the question of the 'external control' fader, does this have to do with velocity, aftertouch etc, or is it something else entirely ?
at0m

Post by at0m »

The external controller is a CC# that you can assign yourself. You can use any controller.

But unlike other devices, you can only assign one controller on the S/STS series samplers. Creamware made a great copy of the hardware synth. I'm happy now the STS5000 (which should be on it's way to me:) has 10 CC# that can be assigned.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

I see, so setting '72' in that fader would mean that the standard release time controller (I think that's 72) would be available to control any of the controllable factors in the sampler.

1 is a pitifully low number ! Why is the sampler not fully assignable like almost all other plugins ? Surely this would not have been difficult - some very basic plugins have this capacity. I rely so heavily on CC's that I can't imagine sitting down to design any plugin without making it properly automatable...

I am very jealous of your 5000 - it's going to cost a bit too much for me !

Oh well at least I've got it all straightened out now - thank you.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Why is the sampler not fully assignable like almost all other plugins ?
Cos it's a very good replica of the Akai Series and Creamware wanted to respect it's original spirit? Then why did they add formant pitch shifting? That effect got me excited about the STS5000!
The S5000 is the same pain to control, as I explained above. Even with USB sampler edit software, AkSys. Akai could have done much better, if I see what is available on DAW... :/

My MC-505 has way more modulation options. But then again, it sounds harsh... Guess one cannot get everyting.

at0mic.
dxl

Post by dxl »

creamware makes it look Akai's S series coz
S series was very populsar, isn't S5000 out on late 1997 ?
so creamware wana make a comparison on price, which it works, but not anymore. it's too old.

dealer, developers, tell your boss to make some new stuff, OR hire more people.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dxl on 2002-04-23 14:22 ]</font>
Valium

Post by Valium »

On 2002-04-23 14:21, dxl wrote:
dealer, developers, tell your boss to make some new stuff, OR hire more people.

nothing more to say? then keep your impulsive comments to yourself plz ...
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

In a way dxl has a point (not about hiring more people, though !). It is time that creamware created a sampler that made the most of their brilliant platform rather than a hardware emulator. There are now a lot of software samplers, which really make use of being software, and CW will have to evolve to stay competitive.
eliam

Post by eliam »

Expanding the capabilities of the STS and improving a few things would be nice. It would preserve the easy to use interface and increase the power and possibilities...
caleb

Post by caleb »

I agree with maybe moving away from just a hardware emulation especially as Pulsar's platform seems to be capable of a lot more.

Although there is one part of the AKAI emulation I'd definitely like to stay and that is AKAI import.

Mind you I heard that the later AKAI samplers even had difficulty importing some S1000/S3000 patches. I don't really know that much about the format to make a terribly intelligent assessment, but apparently the S1000/S3000 patches were quite idiosyncratic.

Apologies if this is a bogus statement, I believe I read it at the Chicken Systems website.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

They should DEFINITELY keep the AKAI import function, but that is very different to emulating an AKAI sampler. I think I'm right in saying - and do correct me if I'm wrong - that HALion can import AKAI multi-samples no problem, and HALion is a fully fledged software sampler.
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

Well, thanks everyone, I am finally back at my creamware machine. I have finally understood about effect modulation, and about the assignable LFO's (blimey I can't believe it took me so long) so thanks for the advice. Gregory - I have also seen the ployphony changer at the top there. So 2 out of 4 is not bad, especially considering the other two are just plain wierd (and might be sorted out by 3.5)

Cheers.