STS3000 Filters

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

Anyone noticed the artifacts that the filters of the STS 3000 porduce?

Example: Cut off a bass or bassdrum with a low pass filter and play it several times.

Result: Sometimes the first milliseconds of the attack are NOT filtered (click, click). And a whining artifact similar to aliasing sometimes comes with the filter.
Even worse when you use a filter envelope...

Turning off the filter removes this problem.
Any ideas?

Eurocide-HQ.
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" Agent Smith

<a href="http://www.eurocide.com">www.eurocide.com</a>
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

Bump!

Because of this "bug" the STS 3000 is pretty useless for basses and drums for me.
Filter envelopes are essential for cleaning up such samples.
dxl

Post by dxl »

hey man, wait for their new sampler(if there is one is progress)
STS3000 is already more than 2 years so don't expect it to have the same level as the new softwares.

maybe the STS5000 will do, but who cares, especially at that price and the amount of DSP needed, yet it will soon bundles with powersampler.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dxl on 2002-04-08 04:18 ]</font>
Zer

Post by Zer »

cure yourself from this sts things...I only checked the sts-4000 ...and guess what I´m using now: I fI really need some Filter FX on a sample...a tracker like the noistrekker which ist free (limited to 16-Bit, but who uses a sampler for classic sound prodctions? - who uses 24 bit for Techno /Dance productions? - senseless, since you want the maximum loudness) with marvellous sounding performable filters (the one of the sTs are more than weak, or the speedsoft virtual sampler as a vsti or dxi, they are doing a far better job, without midihangers, loss of notes, artifacts and with an astonishing amount of polyphony. No senseless fiddling with minidisplays...buit of cause with cpu usage but all at a much lower price as any STS.

If you just want to filter something...forget the built in ones...check this place for ZFilter or any other filtering device here and connect it between the outputs of your STS and the inputs of your mixer.
junklight

Post by junklight »

Your other option is to use the modular - its a bit more fiddly but you can filter anyway you want from there

mark

Post by dxl »

if you can find some good patches and with extra DSP power to run.

why don'y u tell us some good filter patches, pro?
On 2002-04-09 07:44, junklight wrote:
Your other option is to use the modular - its a bit more fiddly but you can filter anyway you want from there

mark
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>
caleb

Post by caleb »

Actually I use a combination of the STS3000 and the Virtual Sampler VSTi at the moment.

I do get midi note hangs with the Virtual Sampler anyway. I'm yet to get one with the STS. This could be a host thing though and my host developer is looking into it.

I agree that the Virtual Sampler is a fantastic bargain for what it offers, but I definitely like the STS3000 for AKAI sample playback.

I just realised that Kontakt VSTi looks like it's going to be about the same price as the STS5000. Although that was just written on a forum somewhere - I've never researched the price of this myself.

But STS5000 seems like a pretty good comparison sampler with Kontakt in terms of features. Interesting.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

You can see price on NI pages, it's 399US$, and it come with 6CDs of samples optimized for Kontakt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2002-04-10 16:09 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

This is my number one issue with the STS series.

Also, let me know if I'm wrong but: The filters on the STS cannot be controlled dynamically once the sample starts playing - the cutoff, for example, is only updated at the sample trigger point. This means, for example, that on a drum loop where you are trying to vary the cutoff over the course of the loop for variation, is impossible, another filter module must be used (eating up more DSP).

These STS filter fixes would probably make me happier than anything else. I would then never "need" to leave the CW environment(+Logic) to realize my ideas, the other equipment would then be just for variation in timbre/character.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Finally a filter after the STS works for some things, but is hardly a true, polyphonic filter for eg: playing chords, each note with their own filter envelope. So not suitable for many tasks.
dxl

Post by dxl »

it's time for STS to retire
it should be the time to introduce a new generation DSP sampler.
I'm still seeing new things in life.
<p><a href="http://mp3.com/dxl">www.mp3.com/dxl</a></p>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2002-04-11 10:41, subhuman wrote:
Also, let me know if I'm wrong but: The filters on the STS cannot be controlled dynamically once the sample starts playing - the cutoff, for example, is only updated at the sample trigger point.
Not true sub :smile: Yes you can change the cutoff while playing, try assinging it to your mod wheel to do the test, it work...

Finally a filter after the STS works for some things, but is hardly a true, polyphonic filter for eg: playing chords, each note with their own filter envelope. So not suitable for many tasks.
As for this one, it is true that you cannot do it in STS, and is a pretty easy thing in Giga for example...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2002-04-11 19:08 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

On 2002-04-11 18:04, marcuspocus wrote:
Also, let me know if I'm wrong but: The filters on the STS cannot be controlled dynamically once the sample starts playing - the cutoff, for example, is only updated at the sample trigger point.
Not true sub :smile: Yes you can change the cutoff while playing, try assinging it to your mod wheel to do the test, it work...
That's exactly what I did... over a long (15 second) drum loop. This was on 2.04a though, maybe I did something wrong or it works differently now? I will recheck it! :smile:

As for this one, it is true that you cannot do it in STS, and is a pretty easy thing in Giga for example...

Oh STS has a polyphonic filter, definitely works fine. I am talking about the suggestion of using an external Pulsar filter on the STS <i>outputs</i>, which would not be polyphonic...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Oh STS has a polyphonic filter, definitely works fine.
Except for the filter issue mentioned at the beginning of this thread.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

On 2002-04-12 09:21, subhuman wrote:
Oh STS has a polyphonic filter, definitely works fine.
Except for the filter issue mentioned at the beginning of this thread.
Quoting yourself ? :razz:

hehe... Anyway, i thing i just misunderstood what you meant, i'll check later...