SF2 velocity layer import not very good

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

caleb

Post by caleb »

Hi guys,

It's probably no surprise to all of you that the import of velocity layers in the STS of SF2 files is not very good.

I have found I get better results if I use AWave to convert SF2 to AKAI S1000 program and load into STS. I get stereo with two velocity layers with all other layers ignored.

That's fine if there are two velocity layers left and two velocity layers right. However, if there are many velocity layers - that's when there's a bit of an issue.

I can get around it by creating multiple programs with different velocity zones and that works well - except if there are multiple velocity zones created from the same sample set, this sample set is duplicated multiple times in the different programs.

A large piano set with twelve velocity layers with different filtering settings for each velocity layer becomes astronomically large when using this method.

Does anyone else find these things while dealing with SF2 files?

I can, of course, carefully create them as S1000 programs and then save them and then I'll never have to worry about it again, but just sharing a bit of an observation more than anything else.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.