Can I use the STS like this.....

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Shame on me, but I've never used my STS - I usually sample everything in SoundForge. But in my new desire to keep everything as simple as possible I'm thinking "why not forget soundforge and use the STS" ?

So my real question is this: if I sample sounds using the STS will they be 100% standard wav files which I can then drop into Acid or VST ?

And what do you think about STS versus SoundForge ?
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

If you're just reocrding samples and then drop them in Acid/VST there is little point in using the STS instead of SF. Working with waveforms is much easier and more accurate in SF, and it's easy to have it running next to pulsar. You have more control over playing your samples with the STS sampler though.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Gotta agree with the King here. Seems easier.
I only use the sts to play samples and do all editing in Cool Edit Pro.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

I never use the STS to sample with.
There are plenty of programs that are far superior.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Well, that's sort of good. At least I know it's not just me then - the few times I've poked around in the STS it just seemed very "click-deep" - many clicks to start doing just basic things.

It's a pity there's no "fast sample" screen or option where you simply click record and start sampling and end up with a simple wav. Then if you wanted to set key ranges and such you could choose to do it if needed.

I used to do all my sampling on the Ensoniq EPS and then later the ASR. I liked the way they worked because of the order in which you'd do things:

- sample the sound
- trim the sample
- set the loop (if)
- set the key range
- save it as part of a larger range of samples if you want to, or save sperately...

In the STS this order seems almost the reverse, you have to set all sorts of things <i>before<i/> you start sampling.

OK, back to SoundForge. :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

In the STS this order seems almost the reverse, you have to set all sorts of things <i>before<i/> you start sampling.
Spirit - you need only do this once - I have several empty STS programs, which I use as templates for programs with sample data, not unlike the several pulsar projects I have set up for different tasks. Once you have a couple of these set up for how you work, it is really much nicer. But, this said, I still use soundforge to record my samples too! :lol:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Unless I am also going to apply DirectX effects onto the sound, I sample directly into the STS, and "Extract" it from the recording. It's much easier and for quick sampling (like drum hits, etc) its easier for me. I used to use SoundForge for this, but found it quicker to do it in STS in most cases. SoundForge is clearly a better editor, though...