no need to cry after sts samplers, vst does it also better

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Re: no need to cry after sts samplers, vst does it also bett

Post by dante »

dawman wrote:BNut the good news is that CHicken Systems still supports Pulsar, what they call STS samples.
Can the Chicken system convert AKAI (ergo STS) instruments into Kontakt ?
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

dante wrote: Can the Chicken system convert AKAI (ergo STS) instruments into Kontakt ?
In theory it can, but Chicken Systems Translator is such a dog.
I've had all sorts of trouble with it on win 7 64bit.
I eventually moved it to an xp 32 bit machine and it was good for a while.
Then I upgraded the OS on that machine to win 7 32 bit and it hangs on the splash screen.
I think it cannot resolve the audio driver, but I can't seem to find a working solution.
maus
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Well at one advantage is the STS actually samples, Kontakt is a sample player. :P
I don't get well what you mean.. Do you mean you get sample by recording it ? You record a sample, load it into kontakt and play it, fast, slow, loop it, inverse it, filter it and much much more. I don't see any difference with STS or any hardware sampler : they all play samples and they all sample. Please, explain !

--> jhulk. That's right ! You can't do as much as with modular in kontakt. I haven't study STS SAMPLE OSC yet but I was speaking about STS sampler. I think I gonna study it.

I remember it was a pain just to load some percussion in STS sampler : one by one. But there is some software which manage STS format such as CDxtract. It works perfectly, here, on W7 64bit.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

Have to say I havenet touched sts since i started using kontakt....found the quality of the instruments and their play ability to be much better in kontakt
although this is now the main reason i need to move to 64 bit environment as i really need the extra memory now....
when i do open up sts, it seems like a trip back into to 80's :-)
no bsod either with kontakt
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

JoPo wrote: I don't get well what you mean.. Do you mean you get sample by recording it ? You record a sample, load it into kontakt and play it, fast, slow, loop it, inverse it, filter it and much much more. I don't see any difference with STS or any hardware sampler : they all play samples and they all sample. Please, explain !
If you can show me the audio inputs and record button in Kontakt I'll happily call it a sampler. You cannot sample in Kontakt. Sure you can do more, but frankly I've had such a ball ache trying to just to do simple stuff in Kontakt that I've given up and it is used to playback pre-made libraries as I'm sure most people do. Hence it's a sample player like the Akai CD3000i was.
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

it is like comparing apples with bananas - Kontakt indeed has no recording capability, but i do not miss this as it is VERY easy to record the sample 1st in your daw 1st, or grab it from other audio, crop it and then simply import it into Kontakt..(OR ABleton)....my issue with sts was stability, even on my dual xeon machine....

i will be powering up the sts tonight though for mainly nostalgic reasons and a bit of fun !

but then again, nothing comes close to the mighty mpc :-)
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

djmicron wrote:operating system bit architecture is not related to the internal processing used by audio apps, it is only related to the ram address, so a 32 bit audio app can have an internal processing of 64 bits on a 32 bit operating system, and with pae enabled each application can use 3 GB of dedicated ram up to a total of 64 GB., so quality of audio is not related to operating system bit architecture.
Only problem i've found with pae on windows is the incompatibility of the intel HD3000 gpu driver, so i use a discrete gpu, but all the rest is fine.
What is this pae stuff?
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

If you can show me the audio inputs and record button in Kontakt I'll happily call it a sampler. You cannot sample in Kontakt. Sure you can do more, but frankly I've had such a ball ache trying to just to do simple stuff in Kontakt that I've given up and it is used to playback pre-made libraries as I'm sure most people do. Hence it's a sample player like the Akai CD3000i was.
Ah, ok ! Just that ? I don't see more pain to record directly into a pc and then load the sample in kontakt than direcly record the sample in a embeded sampler like STS. You certainly will have to retouch it anyway.

I bought my first pulsar card because of STS. So I used it a lot. 3000, 4000, 5000. I remember the nightmare to load samples one by one. Then I tried kontakt and said bye bye to STS. In kontakt, just open a window with as much as samples you need and drag them in the mapping editor, that's it. I remember also the random non played notes by STS.
I use kontakt for its amazing libraries, for sure ! Some are awesome such as Scarbee basses, Sonicouture vibraphone and so on. There is no shame to play those huge excellent libraries... But if I need to load selfmade samples and tweak them in kontakt, after reading things in the manual, frankly, it's really easy. The script kontakt feature is the thing which blow away all other samplers.

Now, I'm going to study a bit STS osc in BC modular...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

auntybiotic wrote:it is like comparing apples with bananas - Kontakt indeed has no recording capability, but i do not miss this as it is VERY easy to record the sample 1st in your daw 1st, or grab it from other audio, crop it and then simply import it into Kontakt..
Well I do miss it. I'm a bash it out kinda guy and if could record edit and map a sample very quickly. For fancy stuff sure Kontakt is great, but when you want a quick one-shot messing about with DAWs and importing is pointless. In fact I bought Nuance recently because although it doesn't sample it does map easily. I really don't care to learn Kontakt with its current interface. Diff'rent strokes and all that.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

JoPo wrote:Ah, ok ! Just that ?
Yes the difference between a sampler and a sample player is just that. It's enough difference I think for a definition.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Well ! I think any one can do as he feels ! Luckily we are all different people and use what we like.
It is something I find a bit dangerous with NI : with there 'Komplete' stuff + 'mashine', you have all you need to make music. If everybody start to only use there products, it a risk that all music becomes similar. If you watch 'mashine' video, you can see an american producer who is very happy to have the possibility to make a hit in 10 mn !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ah yes ! I forgot to say that kontakt has much bigger windows for working !
langue-grimaces-langue-fille-nananere-img.gif
langue-grimaces-langue-fille-nananere-img.gif (65.66 KiB) Viewed 14608 times
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I don't dispute that STS is far from perfect, but for quick and dirty sampling I bet I could record, edit and assign a sample before you even opened your DAW! :P

Just saying for simple stuff a simple sampler is nice to have in the armoury, for more complex stuff you can spend hours figuring out scripting in Kontakt (something I know I will never bother doing).

An updated STS would have larger windows, although I never had a problem with it as you could fit all the sub windows on one screen. The layout is a little arcane (how many volume knobs?), but I don't see that Kontakt makes having some simple samplers redundant. It does make other sample players pointless I would agree.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

:)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

awave is the best program and extrem sample convertor

its easy toi create keymaps of samples and even velocity layer versions which the sts sample osc will load and play to your veleocity settings which is great dfor creating dynamic drums that change there sound to velocity

i then save to akai s1000 format for the sts sample osc its a much better program than translator as yoou an creat instruments with synth params that are saved with the file

i then create layers instruments in bcmodular shell and make it totally modular that way you have control over all modulation possibilities and and the layout of the synth you want to create a 7 stage bandpass resonator to sculpt the sound then you can you want to add a 14 stage allpass phaser you can

with modular you create the synth you want

im making a like loganstringmellodyII type instrument with an upper and lower 4 draw bars for the lower and 3 for the upper

these are poly they then both have a poly out module and on each i have added my designed polymoog resonator that are mono then that goes to a vca

then i have built a 3stage bbd type delay chorus and have added the aries 14stage phaser/flanger for fx

each split section has an envelope

for the drawbars i sampled the b2003 emulation using drawbar settings of string waveforms i used bass tab settings for the bass draw bar

then the cello i did a 16' strings organ tab setting

then the viola i did a 8' string tab setting

and the violin i did the 4' string tab settings

the reason why i chose the organ was that the eminent u310 and solina used string tab settings for there string sounds and the organ sounds being additive do sound nice when put through a orbital 3 stage chorus and was love by jmj for its thick sound when put through a small stone 4 stage phaser

ill be uploading this after i have finished it

to show you how modular and the sts sample osc can do

i also did a EII type sampler modular dev also and im still working on converting the EII samples to single layer instruments as sharc implemented the dula and detune sts sample osc that allows you to detune the same sample to an interval to create natural chorus with out a chorus delay like is available on the EII
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well screw Kontakt for my SFX Instrument. It's a PITA giving up a lower octave just for SFX.
So I tried something where I imported high quality loops from http://www.freesound.org and got everything I nedd and guess what....
Our 24 Bit Wave Source module can handle FLAC and WAV samples/loops simultaneously.
This means I can mix surf sounds with seagulls, or use them separately, have multiple FX at one time, never knew I could do this using VLC and Windows Media Player.
At the beginning of each tune I can click on the SFX I know might be needed, and simply use a pair of knobs on the BCF 2000.
Couldn't do that with Bidule and Kontakt was a hit and miss with one shot samples, as they kept looping and became too tedious.
Now I get a better sound quality and have really high quality samples like Curly going Woo-Woo-Woo-Woo, Nyuk, nyuk nyuk, nyuk, or neyaahhhh....or SoyTanly, just tons of great material for an evening of fun and games.
My favorite is the applause (club) sample of 20-30 people maybe, perfect for when a few clap, and you wish to nudge the guilty ones into clapping as they believe they are the only ones not clapping, then they look around and realize they are Sheep, and they will do as I instruct them to whether they like it or not...

Ankyu
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

hahaha :-) enjoy your new found mind controlling ability :-)
Spielraum

Post by Spielraum »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Well for all its flaws, STS was at least a sampler. All those VST instruments are sample players. I could record, edit and assign faster on STS than the time it takes to load Kontakt. I have Kontakt but it is a glorified sample playback library, not a sampler. To try and ease my STS-loss I have bought Nuance which, although it doesn't sample, at least allows me to assign quickly existing samples quickly due to its simplicity.

If a modernised STS ever comes back to Scope I will happily buy it.
YES YES YES!
...and read good old akai-library without convert!
i have halion, but i love STS+volkzampler since its birth
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

did I miss something? I got sts5000 and others working (well loading, didn't try more) just fine in x64 scope version of x64 windows 7 - also there are x64 versions of it in my menu, don't know what all the fuzz is all about, but then I did not use scope for about a year, made my move to macs and will now connect to a scope system via adat, and VNC...hopefully...
dante

Post by dante »

How much poly and outputs ?