dx7II to sy77/99 conversion

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jhulk

dx7II to sy77/99 conversion

Post by jhulk »

theres a new dx7II.syx to sy.syx

python script program programed by renata as a good by farwell

and martin cleaned up the code

it works much better than the other conversion tools as it now allows all the controllers to be ported properly

also included is the synth options so that you can layer the preset and detune and pan it

i did a sf2 preset of 1985 ch its a 4 velocity switching 76 note keymap every 3rd note sampled 92 samples 10 seconds long crossfaded looped 50% after the start sample

its been converted to s1000 format

ill be doing the .opm conversion of chip tune sounds to tx then to dx and then to sy format

any one with a 32bit machine can load this file into an sts sampler

it was recorded through a tube pre and vintage channel strip to give the digital synth some warmth

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vip8q4l7le0ak ... pad-01.zip
Bud Weiser

Re: dx7II to sy77/99 conversion

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:theres a new dx7II.syx to sy.syx

python script program programed by renata as a good by farwell

and martin cleaned up the code

it works much better than the other conversion tools as it now allows all the controllers to be ported properly

also included is the synth options so that you can layer the preset and detune and pan it
Does "dx7II.syx" to "sy.syx" mean it also works for Yammi SY and TG 77,- or the SY99 only ?
If it works for SY/TG77,- it would be for me too because I also own a DX7mkIIFD.
Where´s that converter avialable ?
What do I need to run it on a separate single processor P4 / XP PC ?

thx

Bud
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

legendary vibes
Attachments
DSC00159.JPG
DSC00159.JPG (267.81 KiB) Viewed 14840 times
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

DXconvert-2.1.1.zip
(154.83 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
you need python 2.7

it free

then you need to download dx convert and the d2s.py

its a command line program

you write

d2s.py infile.syx outfile.syx then 1 then you have algo's for the sy77/99

this gives you

afm 1 poly
afm 2 poly
afm 2 poly panned and detuned i use this one mostly as it makes a nice dx7II fm patch in to a dual layer detuned fat patch in poly
afm 1 mono
afm 2 mono
afm 2 mono detuned and panned
afm 4 mono
afm 4 mono detunned and panned

yes it works great for sy and tg77 and sy99

so if you had a sysex file called bud1.syx

you would write

d2s.py bud1.syx bud1a.syx 1 3 this will change all 32 patches to sy format with 2 poly de-tuned and panned

the dx convert program ill post to the list in a moment

as it comes with a tx convert which means you can convert fbo1 and .opm files to tx and dx format

so all the great tx patches can be used with a dx7 or tx

these have gui programs also

it also has a great new preset creation tool where it will take a syx file and make it into a new 32 patch preset file with new varitions from all the origianl 32 patches great for creating new content

you need python 2.7 get it from the python website you need python 2.7 for windows unless you have a linux machine then you can use the linux version
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

here is a big sysex collection from the bad tour

you need to convert them as the size is wrong for the dx7II

so you need to use the GUI dx convert to change the 9k sysex files to 5k sysex files

i have done all but ill give you these files so you can learn to do it your self there is over 30,000 patches in this collection

and some great e-piano

then once you have done the dx conversion then you can do the d2s.py conversion and use in the tg77/sy77/99

ill then be making samples of these from my sy99 with the dual poly detuned and 4 mono de-tuned but sampled poly so that you can have a fat 4 layer detuned fm patch but being played in poly due to being multisampled
geminisolstice's backup.zip
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 555 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote: you need python 2.7
then you need to download dx convert and the d2s.py
O.k., thank you, I have it all now and printed your instructions.
My Pyton download is 2.7.3,- is it that I need or is a lower version necessary ?

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:here is a big sysex collection from the bad tour

you need to convert them as the size is wrong for the dx7II

so you need to use the GUI dx convert to change the 9k sysex files to 5k sysex files
Is the file size different because the files are mainly for original DX7, TX7 and TX816 ?
I understand the conversion would be essential for usage in DX7mkII FD, then to get the dual detune and 4-voice detune modes for the samples,- but I also own the TX816 and the TG77 in addition to the DX7mkII.

So, what do you prefer as the source machine once the sysex patches would be loaded into any of these ?

In the large library, I also found a folder named DX7D50 !
What does that mean,- did you ever try ?
The single sysex files don´t report being for DX7 and/or D50,- so that´s irritating to me at the moment.
Could be, they mixed up sysex files for both in that folder,- or it´s DX7 patches only which were used as layers w/ for us unknown D50 patches.
Would like to know before I try to load DX patches into my D550 or vice versa accidently.

Otherwise, extremely interesting collection,- so big thx for the upload !!!

On my kitchen table, there now is my 2nd rackmount Win XP PC housing SCOPE Classic 15DSP w/ SCOPE 4.5, a USB2/FiWi combo PCI card w/ TI chipset and a Adaptec SCSI card.
I have to find the best configuration of the cards because I have DPC latency spikes and hope to get that fixed.
When the issue is gone and I can use it, I´ll install Pyton and DX Convert.
It runs w/ my 2nd 8PortSE MIDI parallel port interface and Earthvegaconnections driver,- so I will be able to transfer large sysex chunks between my hardware and computer.

Last question:
Do I have to convert the patches one-by-one, or is there a solution for batch conversions ?
I´d probably need MUCH time to do all one-by-one ...

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:theres a new dx7II.syx to sy.syx

Another remark b.t.w. ...

I also have Steinberg Synthworks SY77 in the house and it could be it does these conversions too.
For sure it converts DX to SY/TG 77.
Do you have experience w/ it so you can say the conversions will be better w/ the DX Convert and Python ?

I haven´t worked w/ that ATARI program for many years now,- but it could be it does it all and is the easier way,- but maybe not.

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

no thats the version you require

once loaded put the dx convert folder on the desktop then you just click it then you just double click the

gui versions to do the conversions

but when doing the sy conversion you need to do it in the command line

also only place 1 sysex file in the dx convert folder at a time so you can keep track of the what your converting then move them after conversion

also i find that its easier and quicker if you change the sysex file name as some are very long names

i change them to j1.syx and when converting i change them to j1b.syx less to write in the command line

also if you never done command line before

its in accessories under cmd

click on that in the start programs menu

now it will default to you os drive d:\documents and settings\then your name here

to get so that it runs from the dxconvert-2.1.1 folder you need

to write cd desktop

thiis will load the desktop folder then you need to write cd dxconvert-2.1.1

and then it will load that folder now you can run the sy command line conversion program

as its set to the dxconvert-2.1.1 folder where the d2s.py script is

so i find it easier

if you change every time you put a new sysex bank into the dxconvert-2.1.1 folder to b1a.syx then all you have to do once you have written it once

just by using the scroller arrows it will write it for you

so write

d2s.py b1a.syx b1b.syx 1 3

or 1 of any of the 8 setting 1-8

it will convert it every time then just rename the b1b.syx to the original name of the sysex file same for the b1a.syx

thats the quickest way for it

thats what i do the program only came out saturday

martin is going to add it to the gui version in the next dxconvert release so you wont need to use command line then

enjoy
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

you can use the sysex with any dx7 synth

thats all of them

and you can use all 4op fm patches with a dx7 synth

the synthworks does do it but not very well

it uses an old d2sy conversion from atari and it does not do that well

the other one is the p2sy this also does very bad conversions

this is used with the dx and sy manager software editors but it does not do the modulations at all so all the bc and mod wheels foot controller are not converted

and the velocity mapping is not right also the the envelope settings are not ported properly and the releases end up being very long

this new conversion was done by a fellow female member called renata she also did the new preset making script

she was a very long time member but has now left our dx7 list but gave the programs to martin to add to dxconvert she left us a thank you note and a farewell

and gave us this little goody as a parting gift

martin who used to write programs for atari and did the original atari converting dx software ported it to python which is a c++ scripting program thats cross platform

he cleaned up the code of any faults and released it last saturday to me and 1 other person for testing i have tested it and sent the results with the sf2 file i created that is the s1000 file i uploaded
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the d50 are dx7 sysex patches emulating d50 patches

with the gui version you can use the command line and put all the sysex files in that dxconvert-2.1.1 folder and run all batch converter that gets ride of dupes and same names and puts them in order

like i said i already done all the conversions but you need to learn how to do it your self

so you know how todo your own
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:the d50 are dx7 sysex patches emulating d50 patches

with the gui version you can use the command line and put all the sysex files in that dxconvert-2.1.1 folder and run all batch converter that gets ride of dupes and same names and puts them in order

like i said i already done all the conversions but you need to learn how to do it your self

so you know how todo your own
jhulk,- thx for all your detailed explanations !
All sounds very promising and awesome, especially because I´m a big fan of Yammi FM together w/ the D550 w/ Musitronics kit and analogue synths.
Now, when we can get that w/ SCOPE STS is most excellent.

Sure, I like to learn the application and routines.
I never thought DX Convert masters all these tasks and I want to get rid of some ATARIs and programs anyway.

thx again

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

no probs with the new sample osc comming in bc modular they load these multi velocity layer samples

so with multi velocity layers its the only way to capture the expressive fm sounds that use a lot of velocity to modulate the fm ops and the envelopes

now i have managed to get 8 layer velocity multisamples at every key for 40 seconds with no loops on a rhodes suitcase

it was a 1gb file and i can load it into the new sample osc

the modular with 32bit is now capable doing the kontcrapkt type synths but in modular for so better experimentation

and your not limited to what samples you use as you dont have to script them like you do with the kontcrapkt

i re did my e-piano with the new sample osc and it now uses less resources

made a nice string synth for the beta but will finish completly and with 14bit cc control we have a ctrlr panel for it

so that you can use the modular as a vsti instrument with out the scopes problematic vsti shell

and if you use the synths shells inside modular you can then also use them with the 14bit cc modules and running them with vsti with the ctrlr panel

i have been working on a supper d550 but with massive mb multisamples and it works great with 32bit os

i have been doing some great rhodes dx7II emulations and converted them to the sy format with 4 mono afm

then i have detuned them and the last layer is used as a sub bass layer 2 octaves below it sound wicked but its in mono so its like a lead sound when pressing the next key

but im going to multisample it and its going to sound sweet as you will be able to play the 4 layer unison fm patches as poly patches

to me the sts sampler is limited but modular is massive and any synth can be created with it if you know how synths are made

which is good for me as i make and repair synths and modular synths
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:no probs with the new sample osc comming in bc modular they load these multi velocity layer samples ...
That sounds much too good to be true,- interesting times coming.
Because of time limitations, I haven´t done much w/ Modular up to now, but I´m extremely interested.
If all runs well on my end, I´m able to order Modular IV upgrade next week and maybe Flexor too, we´ll see ...

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

dont need them

just wait for the new bc modular modules

flexor is good but most of them run on 1 dsp only which is fine for mono synths but as soon as you want to do poly synths

your limited to 3 or 4 poly

mod4 has the filter emulations there good but not spot on like the analog versions but much better than native filters in vsti synths

with the new sample osc modular becomes a emu ultra sampler but with you choosing the modulation and how you set it up

plus with modular you can have 2gb of multisamples in my 4 voice monster of a synth

so you have higher and longer samples

you need the max 4gb memory for this

when a proper re write of the sts samplers to 64bit then no problems then with memory sizes

but they should be able to make a 32bit to 64bit go between module like jbridge which runs the 32bit vsti code instruments on 64bit machines
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

also the 9k files are tx7 syx so they should load in the tx7 modules
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:dont need them

just wait for the new bc modular modules
Well, I was so interested I did a search for the old BC Modular thread which started 2007 when I hadn´t any SCOPE card at all,- and now found out I don´t need Mod IV and Flexor III to run BC Modular which is great.
jhulk wrote: flexor is good but most of them run on 1 dsp only which is fine for mono synths but as soon as you want to do poly synths

your limited to 3 or 4 poly
That´s NOT good ! :D
I hoped, when they talk about Flexor III for Modular IV that changed as also I hoped Flexor for Mod IV is optimized for XITE-1.

So, I´ll buy Modular IV upgrade anyway, even not needed for BC Modular, but skip the Flexor III.
jhulk wrote: mod4 has the filter emulations there good but not spot on like the analog versions but much better than native filters in vsti synths
O.k., thx for the info because "better than VSTi" is worth the buy and there are also more modules.
In addition, S|C should make some money from time to time,- otherwise we don´t see SCOPE 6 ... :lol:
jhulk wrote: with the new sample osc modular becomes a emu ultra sampler but with you choosing the modulation and how you set it up

plus with modular you can have 2gb of multisamples in my 4 voice monster of a synth

so you have higher and longer samples

you need the max 4gb memory for this
Man, sample OSC modular going EMU Ultra is excellent news !
I´m on 32Bit anyway and have 4gig RAM.
jhulk wrote: when a proper re write of the sts samplers to 64bit then no problems then with memory sizes

but they should be able to make a 32bit to 64bit go between module like jbridge which runs the 32bit vsti code instruments on 64bit machines
I think we have to wait a bit for SCOPE 6 and all working in 64Bit,- so I´ll stay w/ 32Bit for some time. :)
NO new machine needed, no Win 7,- saves money ...

I´ll buy a BCR 2000 1st and some other stuff ...

Also thx for the info on the TX files !

best

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3rav9ksxy4sz ... rhodes.zip

here is a patch done on the sy99 with a tx7 sysex from the d50 emulations called arco rhodes

i converted it to sy format with the 4 afm mono detuned

i set the 2 layers detuned +/- 3 first layer stayed normal and the 4th layer was set as a sub layer 1 octave lower

it was so loud that i had to turn down the synth into the pre as it was clipping

i recorded onto tube pre and vintage channel strip

multi sampled it in 4 velocity switching layers no loops lower notes are 25+ seconds long and get smaller as they go along a keyboard

this ended up being a 110mb file if i recorded every note it would be a 400mb file for 4 velocity switching layers

but to get the expressiveness of the fm its needed

but for more accurate more layers would be better

as you can do upto 128 velocity layers in the sts samplers

this was a mono file so on the sy99 you can only play it like a lead synth

but you can play it poly on the sts

enjoy
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uynt95tt12f6w ... o%206a.zip

here an 6 velocity switching layers

dx7 d50 emulations tx7 sysex converted to sy with 4 mono afm this osc one o detune osc 2 -2 osc 3 -2 osc 4 o

osc four master tune of set -12 octave

this again is only a mono lead patch on the sy99 due to the 4 mono afm layers

multi sampled so it can be played via sts sampler in poly

138 samples no loop lower samples are 25 seconds long decreasing as it sampled along the keyboard

key map is set for a 76 note keyboard as the sy99 is a 76 note keyboard

140mb 70mb download file
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

done some pad fm multi sounds that are just 1 layer looped 15+ seconds long

and a very expressive fm 6 layer patch played at lower velocity key strokes you get bass type transients the harder you play more harsh digital distortion comes in

using with an resonant filter you can make the digital harsh sounds sing

the jml fm digital nasty would be good for an arp sequence with variating velocity as it really changes with velocity

this is looped 10+ sec each sample

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p78jwixhopx8g ... 0NASTY.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qq4ge5fv8xw6rs/TIMEWARP.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkvy54grii0z5 ... WEEPER.zip