STS Woes! Arghhh!!

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

YISH313z

STS Woes! Arghhh!!

Post by YISH313z »

I bought the card to do STS work for the most part. I refuse to use VST at all, nope, not going back, ever, I prefer Quality over Functions.
I still got the Emu ultra and Akai Z4 sitting here.

The EMU is acting like its on its last. May have to replace it.
The Akai is just plain slow and boring but I can live with that.

I've avoided bugging any body up to this point, because I know not many use it because of this instability...

But here goes...

...intermittently, no matter what I load into the STS Samplers it just quits Scope. No freezes, no errors, no warnings, and no saving.
Then when I start Scope back up and try again, it just crashes Scope, until I wait a while and try one of the other STS samplers and then I can load it again.

Anyone successfully running the STS series on Scope V5.1 with akai programs, sts programs or soundfonts without crash issues?

I would like to start building patches with this, and I know that it can be more stable than this.

Perhaps a complete XP reinstall?

Specs:

Luna Home Card(3dsp)
Scope v5.1

WinXP sp3(32bit)
3 gigs ram
Dual Core reduced down to 1 core(Standard PC)
No IRQ sharing

500 gig system drive
500 gig audio library drive

Translator latest build
Extreme Sample Converter latest version

Unopened half pint of Cognac(This might be the problem :lol: )
dante

Re: STS Woes! Arghhh!!

Post by dante »

YISH313z wrote:Anyone successfully running the STS series on Scope V5.1 with akai programs, sts programs or soundfonts without crash issues?
Yep STS5000 on Win XP (32 bit) SP3 Scope 5.1 on either PCI or XITE-1D works here (with timestretching) :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/sts_mast.htm

with instructions on how I extracted from AKAI CD's
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Sounds good...I will do a fresh install on a new disk of xp and try this thing from scratch.
I wll report back my findings.

One question, did you have to change the pc roll to standard pc instead of multiprocessor?
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

B4 I go out and hunt for another hardrive to reinstall XP, I will follow the STS troubleshooting guide on ScopeRise for ailing my STS Woes.

I'll Report back later, if you dont hear from me sooner, im probably crafting a new masterpeice from all the excitment and energy of conquering my issues! :D
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Ok, changing the ram timing and FSB did not do it. I think it may be my cut down version of my XP, I will reinstall my full XP it on a new hardrive and go from there, at least that way I will have nothing else installed but Scope.
dante

Post by dante »

YISH313z wrote:Sounds good...I will do a fresh install on a new disk of xp and try this thing from scratch.
I wll report back my findings.

One question, did you have to change the pc roll to standard pc instead of multiprocessor?
No, I didnt do anything STS just worked (ASUS P5KE mobo, intel quad w/ 4 gig ram). Assume you've checked the 'STS Samplers Crashing' section under 'Other Misc' in troubleshooting guide :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_11/tsg_mast.htm
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Yes I tried the ram timing and fsb tips. I could have used those a few years ago when my system was freezing from using the sts samplers, this seems a bit different. No freezing, just quits.

Alas im off to reinstall xp. If that does not fix it , then it surley is a hardware/compatability issue.
dante

Post by dante »

YISH313z wrote:Alas im off to reinstall xp. If that does not fix it , then it surley is a hardware/compatability issue.
More than likely, which is why I put my mobo etc details. Once you find out what it was, let us know so I can update the troubleshooting guide.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Will do.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Not sure what specifically caused the issue, but after doing a fresh/full install of XP instead of a half baked n-lite cut-down XP, STS is thus far flawless.

I don't have anything other than stock XP apps and Firefox installed. Besides an Antivirus program, I don't think I will be adding anything else, well maybe Reaper to fall back on Midi sequencing wise, the MV8000's been doing funny things as of late. :roll:

LOL :lol: , im only able to get 20 voices of STS 5000 with "Channel", and limiter and E-Reflector as the 2 inserts on a 3 DSP card! No fair!! :( :cry: :lol: 8)

I caaant wait 'til I add more cards to this.

Xite is at least a year away for me though. :(

Well of to push this thing to the wall.
dante

Post by dante »

Glad its working for you.

Doesnt prove that the lite baked XP was the problem, but its worth a mention that the full install fixed things.

thanks for the update.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

D*mn!! :o

Whole system just crashed!! Right in the middle of jammin, right after I copied program 3 in sts and pasted onto 4 to play the same kit.

Im looking at the dumps to see if I can see where the hole is...

I will not be beaten 8)
dante

Post by dante »

Is your RAM ok ?
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

I rebooted and tried again, upon checking the dump, it could be a ram issue, but I also had split the Main hardrive into two partitions and forgot to format the second partition(It still shows as a drive letter), I think this may have tripped it. And just to be on the safe side I also disabled some options in the Bios: EIST, C State C!E support, Execute bit, CPUID Maxval limit 3, and the Virtual Machine option as well, all per the instructions from Sonic core for i7 processors,(even though I have a Dua Core2 cpu, it couldn't hurt).

Link: http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... 56&lang=us

If these don't work then Ill try the Ram settings suggested on ScopeRise as well as the Dual CPU restriction. May have to run Memtest if that does not fix it.

But, so far everything is still stable, I tried to reproduce the scenario but it wont budge, and thats a good thing.

Thanks Dante.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks to Musurgio and es1276 who posted original suggestions.

I've updated the trouble shooting guide with your steps.
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

Awesome Dante.

Well Time to leave the land of Scope till friday and return to the real world of my day job. At least I look forward to Tuesday's news and Wednesdays purchase of a new 6dsp card(I hope)

Goodnight All!!