Volume Loss

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tomylee

Volume Loss

Post by tomylee »

Hi there, im having a little problem. I recorded a sample in my Sequencer, and loaded it into the sts 5000, when I play it back, it is always softer as the original one - I cranked all volume knobs up that I found but when recording it back, it is always more silent than the original one, do you have any ideas what I missed? Its a mono sample, and I record it through L-Out of the sampler into a mono Input of my Sequencer

I need to work volume accurate, so adjusting the volume later manualle is not good, even dynamicwise, when I record that stuff 5 times back again for mangling with the sts it could get noisy, but adjusting volumes manually is the mayor issue here for me, since i like to work perfeclty...

thank for help in advance!
greets!
tom
maky325

Re: Volume Loss

Post by maky325 »

I had same problem like you have. Then i figured that i did not crank up volume in all STS parameter options. I am not at home right now but i know fro memory that there are several places for STS patch volume inside STS. Be sure to check them all. There is some sort of individual volume option and patch volume etc..
tomylee

Post by tomylee »

hmmm, i checked them all, still no difference...there is the main loudness, that has to be set from 80 to 99 and no velocity, then it gets louder, but it does not remain same loudness...the individial outs i dont use, they are even softer than the main outs...very strange
Pete

Post by Pete »

I would like to know about this, too.

When I sample, or convert samples, they are often too quiet. Sometimes I need to fix the level of the filter, or the key range under "midi".

One thing that works ( but I'm not sure if it's necessary ) is to amplify the samples - My Emu X2 will let you grab the whole set at once and do it. Maybe Audacity or something else will do that, with the "import" function, then amplify.

But maybe the samples aren't the problem.

BTW, except for that, my converted samples sound really great on the STS.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Just to double check, have you checked the volume knob in:

1. Program>Loudness

2. Settings>Master Gain

3. Main window>Level

4. Key Groups>Options>Main>Loudness

Also did you normalise the sample you recorded?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Me: yes, yes, yes, yes, and maybe.

If you wanted to, Audacity is free, and with the plug-ins download, you can import batches of samples, amplify or normalize them and export them.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Normalize - I see what you mean - thanks!

In the STS sample editor, in the "level" menu, there's "Normalize".

You select all or part of the sample, then normalize it; scales up the amplitude.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Ahaa.. discovery: the raw-sample-playback parameters.
The ones I was adjusting at first belong to the program's parameters.

In the sampler, under Keygroups, then Options, it shows the sample filenames. There's a volume slider that's set to the middle-value by default. Clicking on Add. shows me a filter slider, also set to the middle-value by default.

The samples I'm looking at are ones that I converted using CDXtract, which does a good job, but you still have to do some tweaks on the sampler afterwards. A little more than I thought. I don't know a way to fix more than one patch at a time.

Once I did this stuff for all my 16 instruments and made a preset, it was good, and it loads in less than a blink.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Pete wrote: In the sampler, under Keygroups, then Options, it shows the sample filenames. There's a volume slider that's set to the middle-value by default.
I think i mentioned them here:
Mr Arkadin wrote:[...]
4. Key Groups>Options>Main>Loudness
Pete

Post by Pete »

Oh yeah; sorry!