Fast Sample player

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ThomasT

Fast Sample player

Post by ThomasT »

Hi,

everybody knows how to select sounds of a normal keyboard:
just press the up- and down button or turning a jog wheel to browse through all sounds and select them.

But with creamware-stuff you have to search through the files via filbrowser, drag and drob the sampleprogramm and wait until it's loaded in STS.
This takes too long to check ,say 100s, of sounds,

Is there a way to have the same usage like on a keyboard?
Fast access to every sound in given directory.

The best would some kind of "playlist". A number of selectes sounds that you can compare directly.

Excample:
You have a sample CD or directory (AKAI or similar) with hundrest of strings sounds. And you need a special string sound.
So you press up and down to browse through all string sounds, listen to them and if its a sound you like you add it to your "playlist".

And then you have several similar sounds in you playlist and you can listen to them by direct comparing. That would be nice...

Or should I have post this in "device wishlist"?

Regards Thomas
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

I have a funny feeling someone else asked a very similar question, a couple of weeks ago...

What I do is keep all my samples organised into folders, and browse through the files in Soundforge's file browser — it automatically plays any sound you've got selected, and is very handy for auditioning samples.

Alternatively, I'm fairly certain there's a lightweight, freeware audio file browser that does exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it's called...

HTH

Chris
Lima

Post by Lima »

Why not using the presets? You load the samples in the manner you want and then save the preset. You could order the presets in banks. Every voice is assignable to a particular classification (brass, voice,piano effects etc...) like any other CW synth.
Recalling time is related to the dimension of the instruments ( more megabytes -> more time), but finding the patch time is close to zero ;-)

I use it with my STS and i find it very confortable.
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
yish313

Post by yish313 »

I use Flstudio at times for this very purpose, you can even detach the sound browser form FlStudio and have it floating with flstudio's interface minimized.

You can also open a soundfont in FlStudio to preview it. The best thing about it is that you can drag and drop right from FLStudio into the STS.

Also using it in Cubase or Protools as a Rewire instrument allows you to totally close the FLStudio interface and still have the detached Browser up.

And don't forget that you do not need to buy FLStudio to have this working.
It works the same with the demo for free.

Hope this Helps.

-yish