Finale synthgms.sf2 SoftSynth and STS3000/4000 - Help

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

rodos1979

Finale synthgms.sf2 SoftSynth and STS3000/4000 - Help

Post by rodos1979 »

Hello!

I use Finale to write my scores and sometimes I want to use the Hyperscribe tool. I use the Finale SoftSynth sounds (which uses the synthgms.sf2 soundfont) but the problem is that there is a lot of latency and I cannot use the Hyperscribe Tool.
Whoever has Finale, I think, will understand the problem and what I am talking about..

My question is:
Is there a way to load the synthgms.sf2 in STS3000/4000 and use its sounds there (with no latency)? I can load the soundfont in the STS pool but I have manually to load programs, set midi channels etc.. Which is very troublesome.. Is there an automatic way to do this? So, that the synthgms.sf2 is loaded in STS and when there is a patch change in Finale, the correct program gets loaded automatically in the correct channel of STS..

Anybody can help? Thanks! :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

read the Manual (I didn't :oops: ) about which option to pick in the STS program window, so the respective midi program change instruction loads the program on it's # position from the pool. At least this should be possible, according to my faint memory.

cheers, Tom
rodos1979

Post by rodos1979 »

Tom, I've read it... or at least I've tried to! :roll:
But I can't understand it :oops:.... BTW, the programs sound different in STS than in Finale.. why is that?
astroman

Post by astroman »

simply because the makers of soundfonts often tweak some parameters that the STS doesn't convert - it only reads the pure waveform.
This can produce stunning differences - and made dispose of ALL my soundfonts I had from the days of the SBLive :roll: except the original EMU Protheus stuff, which performed almost identical - but eventually I got an Orchestral Proteus hardware unit (I just loved those cheesy strings)...
But (as mentioned elsewhere) I re-activated the STS sampler for some Band-in-a-Box stuff, as I found a ton of jazz things for it on the net :D

cheers, Tom
rodos1979

Post by rodos1979 »

Finally, I made myself a correct preset list in the Pool and now I am able to load the patches correctly and automatically! :D
The problem is, as I said, that the sounds do not sound the same and that I get very often hanging notes :(
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, it looks like serious tweaking is required - which is not exactly appreciated in your case, as it isn't in mine.
I used an old version of Gigastudio with a really good GM set (got it bundled with a 60 Euro Soundcard once) under Win98 for that purpose.
I currently have Scope under Win2K, but still have the image of the previous installation - I should make it double boot.... or get me an external soundmodule :P

cheers, Tom
spacef

Post by spacef »

In STS, once the soundfonts are loaded, you shouldn't need sf2 anymore.
Convert them into sts/akai files using the sts export features if you can.
sf2 is pretty unstable in STS, but it allows to load and convert and then there shouldn't be anymore problem of hanging notes or sf2 becoming silent.
i haven't used sts for a long time, so it might be worth checking how you export sounds/banks/programs etc