Roland XT and STS 5000- Are they comparable?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Atomic Marshmallow

Roland XT and STS 5000- Are they comparable?

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

Hello,

I have been lusting over the Roland V Synth XT rack version for a while now. I love the sound and possibilities. However, can the STS 5000 in essence do the same thing? It would certainly cost a lot cheaper. I have been trying to come up with reasons for and against buying the Roland.

For:

Interactive, easy to manipulate, groovy colour touch screen, sound and powerful

Against:

I prefer to work in software, the price of the rack, it takes up space and in certain ways software has more potential and can be upgraded more easily.

Can anyone help me make a decision please?

Thanks
eliam

Post by eliam »

well for one thing the sts-5000 is not a synth, it's a sampler, so its created to manage samples. I don't know the v-synth but I doubt that the sts can be compared to it. However, I think that Scope as a whole offers you more than any one piece of gear on the planet! What's your setup for now?

I love the STS series, despite some limitations. Imagine a semi-modular sampler where you can load any flexor or modular filter that you want! Now that would be wicked! That point alone would be an incredible improvement! That and multiple stereo outs.
Atomic Marshmallow

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

eliam wrote: well for one thing the sts-5000 is not a synth, it's a sampler, so its created to manage samples. I don't know the v-synth but I doubt that the sts can be compared to it. However, I think that Scope as a whole offers you more than any one piece of gear on the planet! What's your setup for now?
In some ways the V Synth is a sampler in that its oscillators are .wavs that you load into them. What both the synth has and according to my understanding the STS 5000 has is that samples are time stretched while still maintaing pitch. That is basically the principle behind the Roland machine I am lusting after.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I see... The time stretch and pitch shifting engines of the sts are certainly interesting and powerful, maybe reading the manual thoroughly would give you some idea of what it can do?

personally, i like to have outboard gear with hands-on controls to tweak my sounds with, but that's another discussion...