STS3000 grumble

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

minipax

Post by minipax »

ok, first of all it kills all the low end oomph of my kicks, it never really sounded 'right', i always had to spend ages fixing my kicks in post production.

anyway, my real grumble, it's a strange one though. I wonder have many others noticed this?

ok, current setup is kick sample on a seperate midi chan, and using additional output 2.
in a seperate samplebank (program) i have some hats. the are detuned and have a low pass filter on them. the kicks play fine until a hat samnple is triggered, at which point the kicks will roughly half in volume and then return to normal once the hat sample stops (hats are on main out). anyone else noticed playback conflicts like these?

i'm fed up with the thing, so i'm probably gonna use the STS4000/STS5000 instead, i just hope all my filter settings will remain.

anyway, someone let me know if they experienced something similar to this. cheers.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I can't really say anything without listening, but how much are hats detuned? you might have reached unwanted very low freqs on them that conflict with and mask some of the kick.
Try with some highpass filter on the hihats, it's very important when you have percussive samples that play together to avoid strong common frequency ranges.

Then, if you can, put each sample or group of affine samples (open and closed hh) on a separate output and send it to a different mixer channel.