Question about STS-5000 & AKAI discs

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Cocytus

Post by Cocytus »

Hi,
I was just wondering that is it possible to make STS-5000 read AKAI formated samples directly from CD drives not from HDs?

Since windows XP itself cannot read AKAI formated CDs (AKAI partitions), everytime I put a AKAI disc into the PC CD-ROM, it always says "format not supported".

Can STS read it directly by any chance without converting the AKAI samples into individual file(s) onto HD?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cocytus on 2006-04-18 07:38 ]</font>
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

yes it can.
If i'm not wrong, you need to install the aspi drivers from adaptec.
Cocytus

Post by Cocytus »

Thanks,

What are "aspi drivers"?

It would be wonderful to use AKAI sample discs directly without spending all that time to change the format and save them. Considering that they would be loaded into RAM anyway.

Have you or anyone loaded it successfully?

Thanks again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cocytus on 2006-04-19 05:02 ]</font>
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

yes,
i use akai cd's by years.

The aspi drivers are located here: http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor ... _471a2.exe
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

p.s. you'll need to open the akai cd from the scope's file browser.
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

Even though you have the aspi drivers windows still won't be able to read akai disks,it channels the information straight through into the program and not just akai format.cd extract,chickensys etc.all use aspi.
Cocytus

Post by Cocytus »

Thanks for the replies,

I tried to drag & drop AKAI programs directly from Scope File Browser to STS-5000 with the right filter setting. Seems like Akai samples can be loaded without installing ASPI drivers. May I ask what is ASPI for anyway?

And also I encountered this problem with STS-5000, when I try to load any akai programs from akai formated disc(s) directly from cd-rom drive via Scope File Browser, 8 out of 10 times I would get this following error message from Scope -

Sample *.s could not be loaded - Do you want to search for it? YES/NO

If I search for the "missing" sample(s) following the "default" directory that shows in the sample search pop up window of STS-5000, the "missing samples" would load, but sometime it does not... and the strange thing is that seems like it happens randomly, for instance, if I try to load an akai program - "Rain Piano" which contains 2 samples - Rain Piano Left.s & Rain Piano Right.s, sometime STS-5000 reports both samples could not be loaded, or Rain Piano Left.s is missing or the other way around.

I double checked the Filter setting under Scope File Browser, everything is fine and my akai sample discs are in very good condition no scratches or marks on the data surfaces, all the discs work perfectly on my AKAI S6000. I also tried to load akai programs with STS-4000 and STS-3000 but I got the same error.

Has anyone here encountered similar problem before?

Any helps would be very appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cocytus on 2006-04-19 05:08 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

never work with STS, but it could be you have to define stereo slots first...
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi hubrid,

why we shouldn't with sts, I wager it's a good sampler,

cheers,

didier,
hubird

Post by hubird »

sorry, it wasn't an imperative, I just shortened the writing leaving away the 'I' in front of it, like in 'Got it!' :-D
So I say here and now:
USE THE STS, AS MUCH AND AS OFTEN AS YOU WANT!

:lol:
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Yes, huub, it IS good, :wink: and I spent many hours with importing wav-samples and creating new programs with it. A really very useful thing.
Also AKAI import works without problems.
miki

where do you install the aspi drivers

Post by miki »

and wich aspi driver would make the sts work? :x