Largest sample size due to STS ram issue

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

So what is the largest sample size you guys have been able to load due to the sample RAM reported by STS?

I've been able to load so far about 600MB odd. Mine is a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 2.5GB RAM
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

I'm sure. I still can't load anything bigger though I've installed larger RAM.

Anybody here can chime in?

I've got two Pulsar I cards.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I hope I'm not stealing the thread with this question, but a while back I wanted to use the STS series instead of GS3 Orchestra. I was concerned about the RAM amounts also. Gigabyte makes a 4GB RAM card which sits in a PCI slot that can be dedicated as a psuedo HDD I believe. I'm still interested in this approach, for I wish to use this live if feasible. Can anyone answer the question of RAM amounts and STS w/ this approach?
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

That "RAM card" thing will be seen as a disk drive by your operating system, not memory, so it won't change anything in terms of STS and memory available. It might be fun to stream stuff off of with GigaSampler though.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Have you checked & noted what's all 'assigned' a portion of your ram ?

Some apps by default are assigned a portion, so it's worth checking the 'options' or 'properties' of all your installed applications.
astroman

Post by astroman »

hi Jimmy,

this somehow reads familiar - did I respond on this already ? (... Dave, my memory's fading,... Dave...)
anyway - it will not help to increase STS memory as it's adressed like a diskdrive and STS does no virtual mem on it's own.

there's even the question if it's faster than (a fast) physical drive at all.
The mapping between the card and main memory will need CPU resources, how much depends on how smart it's programmed (I've seen Ram disk apps that were slower than physical drives)

such a PCI disk will have most benefits with access types that needs a lot of small blocks on various parts on the disk - i.e. when a lot of mechanical movement of the disk heads is involved.
Sample loading on the other hand is more a reading of large continuous blocks, and all current disks are pretty fast anyway, let alone they have huge caches today.

If it's affordable I'd appreciate such a disk for one purpose: it's silent - and I'm a notorious seeker for the most silent solution possible :grin:
Btw a flash disk IS NOT completely silent - you can hear it sizzling if the case is open and you're close enough (say 1-2 meters)

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brother Man Astro,
I'm glad you chimed in. I was just hoping that there was a way to utilise the STS series of samplers live, and not just in the studio. I would like to silence my studio box more. It seems as though some transients are coming in the form of distortion and such on really quiet tracks I notice it. Seems to be from PSU,HDD, and CPU fans. Live it's no problemo, but in the studio on a good console, it is evident that I need to silence my box a little. I have found a Pentium M780 for 348 USD. I think the time to buy is now, for I have contracted alot of studio time for the fall of 2006. I'm sure I be using the forum alot when I start pre-production with the producer. Always appreciate the more than 2 cents worth I get from you guys.

Be Fruitful And Multiply,