Sts Samplers Ram

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

I don't know If any of you out there are windows parameter experts or programmers, But as I understand it cpu samplers are more efficient than scope samplers by the sole fact they have priority access over ram Allocation.Thus is it possible to attribute specific IRQs to ram access in order to gain access speed and priority.Just an Idea /Question
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, I don't exactly qualify in the context of Windows programming, but imho there's no reason for your concerns.

The 'datapath' from Ram to the DSPs may indeed look more complex, but 64 channels of 32 bit audio require a datarate of roughly 10 MByte per second - the bus could provide 133 MByte.

Not all sampler 'engines' are created equal, and even shifting data through a CPU itself can vary in a signfificant range of time.
The very first 'Gigasamplers' used to run on 350 MHZ CPUs - try this with Kontakt for example... :wink:
Not to forget that modern CPUs are pretty complex when it comes to true optimization of dataflow. Most programmers will simply not have the time to deal with it in detail.

I haven't veryfied this, but in the end it might even turn out that an STS sampler ITSELF is a pretty effective device.
There will be a bottleneck with heavy reverbs (as we know PCI bandwith etc...) as that's not only a lot of data, but also extremely time critical. The sampler might get 'locked out' by it's FX companion :wink:

my 2 cents, tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2005-12-16 04:25 ]</font>
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

I don't know about anybody else but anytime I use an STS, With Cubase For Example,as soon as the sampler kicks onto it's track the lack of synchronisation is audible for about half a second and then it's fine which would lead me to believe that it's "initial" access to data problem.
rounser

Post by rounser »

I don't have this problem using ERA inside Minihost to trigger STS5000 (but then that makes for a very lightweight sequencer).
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i think the problem is related to memory swap file.
It's not related to sts sampler, but to system memory and virtual memory setup.
I think if you have 1 gbyte or more ram memory, you could set the virtual memory to a min and max value of 384 mbytes.
I'm working on win xp with 1.5 gbytes and i don't have this kind of problem using nuendo and large projects.