sts samplers force sfp to shut down

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

whan i load a sampler it happens lots of times to shut down scope, either by saying sorry but scope needs to close or just without warning.
help..........................
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

thanks but the discussion you send me does not say something specific to do.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Yes. Seems like a serious bug, and nobody knows a real solution. Let's test Scope 4.5 ...
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Hi,

use to experience crashes with the STS series, but when playing them rather than loading them, try and load the midi filter to see what happens,

cheers,

didier
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

i fixed it by making clean xp installations
i use now 3 os having 4 internal hdisks. 1 300g is used for storage and project destination or recording surface for all os
each os is dedicated to specific use.
with clean os everything is stable.
i loaded up to as many sts samplers i wanted more than 5 at the same time. no problem.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

you know, don't go through so much problem just to get the shabby sts samplers to work... spend the time you use to set up the different os installations, and buy kontakt. save your self the pain and agony.

Don't you think it's about time we called it quits for the sts series? Once it falls behind (technologically) this far, it's time to head for the museum.

"ELVIS LIVES" lol. elvis lives, and sts is a good sampler. Micheal is not wierd, and Madonna isn't old.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2005-11-30 14:39 ]</font>
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

:lol:
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

Nobody Says if they have the latest aspi driver,Just an Idea
rounser

Post by rounser »

Once it falls behind (technologically) this far, it's time to head for the museum.
STS5000 is better at pitchshifting than Roland Variphrase and Kontakt, and offers far more voices than the former. It can sample, which Kontakt still can't do, and has 32 very useful filters (some of which are EQs or FX, so no need to go outside the sampler for such effects - think keyboard follow on your EQ, and a phaser and flanger as convenient to apply as a LPF). It's much more CC automatable than the Akais which the interface is based on, and more accessible to samples than Roland hardware using Variphrase (just drag from windows explorer).

In short, it rocks if you dig timeshifting and pitchshifting, as I do, and really don't need all the modular synth distractions that Kontakt offers.

I really don't think you're thinking for yourself, but rather repeating the accepted wisdom or "groupthink" about Kontakt and the STS samplers, as most people do. It's disappointing to see such ignorance perpetuated about what is possibly the best instrument the creamware platform has to offer, IMO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rounser on 2005-12-06 22:05 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

Yo :lol:
valis

Post by valis »

I think its a question of recognizing when a tool is useful and when it isn't.

I know plenty of people who still use their Emu samplers, but they are also using Kontakt or another software sampler as well (and making more use of imo). The Emu is still the one to go to when u want to morph the upper portion of a bassline or a lead-line or perform several other common "Emu" tricks. However for subbass and drums (or anything where timing is critical) I'd reach for Exs24/Kontakt anyday over Emu, unless of course you're using an Atari.
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i think sts 5000 needs just some interface improvement, but it is still the best timestretcher on the samplers market and kontakt timestretch is ....
Another good use i do of the sts 5000 is when creating my sound banks from scratch it's very fast to use a template sound bank, overwriting samples and then copy them to a new directory.
The Kontakt 2 is a good sampler, but it need some improvement that on sts 5000 already exists, for example, using kontakt it's not possible to assign different outputs for samples loaded in the same instrument, this is unbelieveble for a modern sampler !
About z plane filters, i've found a good way to obtain the same and better effect using the speqtrum by wolf, controlled by envelopes or aftertouch, using the miditoolbox or the flexor's absolute value inside the modular.
rounser

Post by rounser »

The STS-5000 really begins to take off when you discover how to use pitchshifting to avoid multisampling, change envelopes with timestretch, and alter harmonics without filtering with formant sweeps.

That's not even touching on what it can do to vocals...very convincing vocoding and "autotune" effects when in monolegato & robot mode, or the choral harmonies made from one vocal in autochord mode.

Just now, I took a single C3 piano sample from a rompler, sampled with Chainer at 96K. The attack gets a little blurred from pitchshifting, but can be restored with timestretching. Formant can then be used to change it from a marimba-like sound through to a harpsichord-like sound, and back to the original piano.

Not having to mess with multisamples is extremely convenient, and there are lots of harmonics-highlighting creative possibilities with formant that don't involve the played-out sound of filter sweeps.

Timestretching and formant only really seem to come into their own when mapped to pots or faders on your MIDI controller - I thoroughly recommend it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rounser on 2005-12-08 03:14 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

interesting, indeed - have to check that :smile:

tnx, Tom