Need some help to finish the bass library, please...

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Hello there people, I need some help here, as I am new to sampling… There are very good advices you have given me on regard to bass sampling, but know I have to actually translate all these into some real instruments.

I have recorded my Washburn and the results are great! The problem is that all the 40 notes of the scale in 24bits makes a heavy instrument and I don’t think everybody will like it as heavy as this… ¿Could I get tutorials on HOW TO with the STS4000? ¿Can you help me in any way? I would appreciate it much, the library is finished and the only thing missing is the instruments, the bass instruments I mean. I would like to offer different STS configurations, so the guy with a small computer and the guy with a big one can both load it without problems.

I would like to upload it soon, so those who got the work can start enjoying it. I will not go into details about the library, as this post is only for getting some help from you, the experienced ones in sampling with STS.

I think also, that I will translate or lets say, “save” the instruments in AKAI S3000 format, so the library can reach more people than just using the STS, and nevertheless, I understand they will be compatible for us with any of the STS version, from the 2000 to the 5000.

A simple way would be using Kontakt, Battery, etc., patches and translate them with a sample conversion program. ¿Am I right?

Ok, any suggestions will be heard and appreciated, thank you.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

For what I noticed, bass sounds are very well transposed, I mean that in the nature of bass sound the higer pitces of a single sample sound pretty natural compared to the human voice tha t sounds alterated after 2 semitones. This means that a pretty good sounding instrument is made using samples taken also at 2 tones of distance.

The big problem is the choice of wich part of the fretboard choose to take a note to put on the keyboard and also how to integrate the open strings in the scale, that are not so often used, but they have a distinctive sound that should be available.

I'd suggest to have a main sts program with intervals taken at thirds, starting from low E (if it's a 4 string) and going up using mainly the middle section of the instrument, with a lower octave that is just dedicated to the open strigs where only E A D and G strings play, so you play normally say from E2 going up, then you also have E0key with the same note as E2key because it's practical to have left hand dedicated to all open strings in an area, going up in first position containing all the open string samples up to G, you only need to put the 4ths intervals in E0, A0, D1, G1 and let every open string go up in the keyboard until the next op.str. sample.

So, to make it better, you could have a program of 2 octaves (E0-Eb2) where you just use the open string samples and let them sound up until next open string, when you reach G open string you let it play in the keyboard until Eb. It will be a mainly first position program that you can have with only four samples and load it along another normal program that will use other parts of the fretboard without open strings.

You could make a couple of different normal programs, fcentered in mid low or mid high parts of the keyboard, plus the above first position open strings program, then the same programs with pop-slap notes at maximum velocity and maybe a program all pop-slap at different velocities, then you provide all the single wave files in cathegory folders (you find the best cathegories) and anyone can make his own programs.

This is how I would approach such an hard task, just an idea....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alfonso on 2005-10-07 15:51 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

by the way, how about Kontakt variations? I think I'd much prefer Kontakt over STS any day.. would anyone offer to patch it? I use Kontakt, but don't program with it so, some one with more experience might be better...

Nestor, great to hear you're almost done!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Than you very much guys for your answers and encouragement.

Nevertheless, for what you say Alfonso, I have much more work than what I thought I’ll have with the multisampled instrument! For a matter of “megabytes transfer”, I cannot offer more than one instrument I realised, as I already largely surpassed the 500Mbs proposed.

I really am in a crossroad with it, I don’t dispose anymore of time as I use to, as I am finally working… “thanks God”, but well, I liked the last solution. I have sampled the entire bass very carefully, note by note, in three layers, the first is PIANO, the second is FORTE and the third is FORTISSIMO. All 34 frets are sampled so everybody can do whatever instrument they want to with the original wav files.

Ken, I know Chris is planning to patch it to Kontakt for himself, you could perhaps ask him a favour, getting if from him. Perhaps a PM would be in order.

Any other comments much appreciated guys, cheers :smile:

Nestor
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I will write about my sampling experience and what I’ve learned in the presses by the end. I cannot call it a tutorial, because I have not the level of understanding of layers and zones I should have to call it that way. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to get into it right now but people, it’s so nice!

I can surely say it has been very enriching musically and technically, and that I truly enjoyed all this, despite it is a work for extremely patient people, and I say “people” and not “person”, because you should have somebody helping you in the process, at least when recording, otherwise it can be a slow process.

More to come…
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Kontakt gets my sample tool through the last years, started with v1 and now up to 2.x.
I can take the Kontakt patching and offer you the programs, once they are finished.

I guess it would be enough to convert Nestors libary to a kontakt 1 version, v1 is a bit faster, not so heavy on the CPU and a v1 version can be loaded from v2 users anyway.

Also we don´t need surround panners thingies on Nestors Bass, or?
valis

Post by valis »

I'm sure K2 owners can customize the presets as needed. :smile: