Samplers quality comparison

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Stige

Post by Stige »

Not sure if this is already mentioned here, but while surfing, I ended up in a site that has made a quality comparison for most known samplers. Also STS-4000 is there.

http://www.simonv.com/music/quality/index.php

I'm a bit confused about the results, as STS samplers have always sounded better to me or at least as good as any software I've had chance to try (apart from phase issues).
wayne

Post by wayne »

Too cheap for an STS-5000 perhaps?

My guess is they couldn't work out how to use it :grin:
okantah

Post by okantah »

Do not take that site serious,they joke.Can you really hear some difference?
cheers
astroman

Post by astroman »

the 'difference' is about the same as a Miniscope versus Minimax comparison :wink:
it's really easy to detect when you loop the 2 highest transpositions and a/b them.

the point of the comparison is restricted to artifacts of the sampler's synth engine when a sample is transposed - it's not about how trustworthy something is recorded.

They've intentionally used a pretty artificial task to detect flaws, BUT I SWEAR anyone would consider a (say) drumsample from the STS engine more 'beefy' if compared to the perfectly reproducing VSampler :razz:

Not to defend CWA's position, but THAT's exactly the reason people (still) spend a fortune for an EMU 1200 or a MPC60 today :grin:

cheers, Tom