STS 3000 Individual output

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

firubbi

Post by firubbi »

i want to split a drums to its individual output(kick- out i, sn-out2, hh-out 3 ect)
But can't find it out how to :sad:

Can anyone help?

Thanks
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

it's a bit dodgy. First you have to set a kind of "fundamental" Out. In the STS3000's main window, in the Additional subscreen, there is a IOut value that you can set, this serves as the "fundamental" Output number.

Then, in the Keygroups window, again in the Add. subscreen, you can set an individual Out value for each keygroup. The "final" Output is computed using IOut + Out. So if you set IOut to Off and Out to 1, that keygroup sample is going to play on invidiual output 1, and if you set IOut to 1 and Out to 2, you're going to end up on individual output 2. So IOut is a kind of "base output" and Out is the "offset output".

You can check the STS's manual for more detailed explanations if necessary.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

That's what the manual says, but it's always worked rather differently for me in practice.

If you follow what the manual says, then you should be able to set the same IOut (in the main window) for all individual outputs and then assign different IOut values for them in the keygroups, but this doesn't work as you would expect, I've found. It is to do with a combination of the two IOut settings, for sure (main window & keygroups), but I've yet to fully understand just how it works.

(Does anybody else find this, or do the individual outs work as described in the manual for you? For example, if I remember correctly, if the IOut in the main window is set to 0, then you set an IOut value in the keygroup, the sound isn't then sent to the individual outputs...the IOut setting in the main window needs a value, which isn't what the manual says).

Also, remember to set the output level (in the main window) to 0, and then set the individual output level (additional pane) else it will still got to the stereo out.

Royston
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Works fine here, like described in the manual.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I'll re-check how things work for my set-up and post-back (the post above was from memory...not the most reliable source!)

Royston
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

Thanks symbiote, Counterparts, that is very complicated way to put each note :sad:
and the problem is L/R is always on.. !
so when i select kick to ind-out-1, signal is also coming from L/R!(was thinking i'll use toms to L/R but kick is also coming from this ch)
Another is Each key has 4 sample & 4 outs! why we need 4 outs for one key!!!
Is there any other way of Assign a drums?
thanks
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

hello again,
does anyone convert any giga sample to sts.. using cdXtract? it let me convert to .akai or other format but not sts!
plz reply if you have cdxtract.

thanks a lot
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Yep, it's a bit of a silly way to assign outputs, I'm not a big fan of STS myself either :razz: I use it for a few odd programs/sample kits I have lying around, and little else. They should ditch the whole hardware sampler paradigm and use the whole available screen.

I think there might be a way to not forward a sample to the L/R outputs, but you'll have to check in the manual. Also, each key has 4 outputs because it has 4 "sample slots" (for like velocity-sensitive keymaps and such,) and you have the option to forward each sample to a different output. Also, if you are using a stereo sample, you can foward the left and right part to 2 different individual (consecutive or not) outputs.

There's a little utility named STSAdd that will let you build programs easily out of a bunch of samples, it should be somewhere in the Tools file section.

As for conversion, the STS samplers read Akai format without problem, so you can just convert to that. The SFP file browser will read Akai partitions just fine, so you can simply feed it an Akai sample cd, and you can load programs from it (and save them somewhere else too.)
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

firubbi wrote:
and the problem is L/R is always on.. !
"Also, remember to set the output level (in the main window) to 0, and then set the individual output level (additional pane) else it will still got to the stereo out."
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

many thanks to you :smile:

if you know any program that convert .giga to .akai plz reply :smile: (except cdxtract)

thanks again.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I got round to testing this on my system yesterday, and what I found (for my STS 3000) was that the IOut setting in the main window (additional pane) made no difference whatsoever to where the signal was routed...it only depended on the 'out' setting in the keygroups window.

I also found that if you e.g. change the IOut setting (say from 0->2) then this automatically sets the 'out' value (or rather, increases its current value by the same amount), so that the sound does then appear at an individual output.

Does anybody else's system behave like this?

Royston
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

i'll check.
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's more than silly. It's idiotic.
On 2004-11-25 02:47, symbiote wrote:
Yep, it's a bit of a silly way to assign outputs, I'm not a big fan of STS myself either :razz: I use it for a few odd programs/sample kits I have lying around, and little else. They should ditch the whole hardware sampler paradigm and use the whole available screen.

I think there might be a way to not forward a sample to the L/R outputs, but you'll have to check in the manual. Also, each key has 4 outputs because it has 4 "sample slots" (for like velocity-sensitive keymaps and such,) and you have the option to forward each sample to a different output. Also, if you are using a stereo sample, you can foward the left and right part to 2 different individual (consecutive or not) outputs.

There's a little utility named STSAdd that will let you build programs easily out of a bunch of samples, it should be somewhere in the Tools file section.

As for conversion, the STS samplers read Akai format without problem, so you can just convert to that. The SFP file browser will read Akai partitions just fine, so you can simply feed it an Akai sample cd, and you can load programs from it (and save them somewhere else too.)