Some STS 3000 thoughts...

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I was using the STS 3000 to record & create a sample from scratch for the first time over the weekend and noticed a few things:

'Snap' in sample editor - the manual indicates that turning this on ensures that edits to the loop end-point will match the loop start point. I found that with this option turned on, I couldn't use the mouse to move either the start or end loop points at all! When it was turned off, I was able to move the loop points, and also noticed the end point seemed to be 'snapping' to 0-crossing points. Has anybody else noticed this?

Another issue I had was with the filter - the manual indicates that:

"Resonance: Sets the filter resonance
(range: 0..15)."

...but I found that valus of the filter resonance was editable from 0..999 (?)

Using LFO1 to control the cutoff of the (low-pass) filer, I found the filter to be somewhat weak and wishy-washy (perhaps I've been spoiled by using the Flexor ones?)

ENV1 - I'm a little confused by the fact that this envelope is used (as normal) to control the volume of the sample as it's played back (i.e. it's hard-routed to the sampler's VCA), but it's also possible to route this envelope to control...volume!(?) (e.g. in the Loudness page of the program's parameters) Doing this had quite a strange effect on the sound :smile:

There seems to be a small BUG in the graphical display of this envelope in that the sustain portion of the display should be horizontal, but if one deletes some nodes by double-clicking and then re-adding them, the start and end-point of the sustain portion of the envelope can be moved up & down independantly (although the resultant sound is still one of a constant sustain value).

Lastly, there are some modulation parameters which can be set for the entire program and also at the key-group level, e.g. the influence of the key-down velocity on volume. I'm just wondering how to visualise how this works correctly - are the individual key group settings analogous to individual channel's aux-sends, and the program's setting to an aux-master-send?

(i.e. if an individual key group's setting was 0, then the program's setting would have no effect for that key group?)

Oh yeah - the sample patch I've been making is based on the 'Hypnotoad' sample :grin:

(Previously discussed here: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 29&forum=9)

Royston
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I went back to the patch I'm trying to make yesterday evening and...well, it certainly didn't sound like it did the day before!

I discovered that STS 3000 had lost the assignments in the filter page (modulation sources were gone) - that's quite a poor BUG to not have been fixed already :-/

I made sure that I'd saved any changes I made to the sample itself and also saved the program...perhaps this evening it'll actually remember what its settings are supposed to be...

Royston
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

It seems that everytime I go back to the patch now, all the combo boxes where one chooses modulation sources, MIDI CC #s are blank!

The 'value' field next to the modulation source seems to keep the correct value, and the sound that's output is being modulated how it was set-up, but you have to either guess or remember what all the settings were.

It seems that the STS's GUI is very bad at remembering what it's supposed to display - yesterday, the zones page of the keygroup list was completely empty! The sample editor showed no sample, yet one was playing.

That is pretty poor, really. Are these BUGs in the other STS samplers too, or just in the 3000?

Royston