Sense of sampler

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

stephan_trance

Post by stephan_trance »

Hi,

i am a newby here. But i simple want to ask you about the sense of a sampler.

I never worked with sampler. I record my sample in cubase sx and use some insert effects, filters etc to change some sound or behaviour.

But what is really the adavantage of a sampler?

Would be great if i would get some answers. Many thanks in advanced.
Goa and trance production: i search tips
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

Well just to name a few of the bonuses to using a sampler..

- Ease of use on one shots.
- Real time stretch/pitch shift.
- Being able to store many samples and arrange them accross the keyboard for ease access.
- Midi trigger of sounds.
- EG: sample a piano key and be able to play the note in any key.
- Slice drum loops and set zones for loop points or what key will trigger specific parts of a loop.

I could go on but those are just a few of the most obvious uses of a sampler. Its not a tool to replace an audio track, its a tool to make certain things easier, use as an example NI's Battery, you assign multiple pads (key notes) one shot drum samples and then trigger the samples via midi.

Imagine trying to arrange a drum track with audio only, cutting a thousand hi hat and snare, kicks etc and placing the notes in the right place, it would be a momumental task. Instead use a drum (sampler) like battery to make this huge tast a simple one.

Just random thoughts,

Cheers!
genoxcide

Post by genoxcide »

not to forget multikey layering in other words having several samples on one MIDI key (eg a snaredrum recorded with different velocities or strings getting more and more accentuation with hitting the MIDI key harder or, or, or.. etc). A sampler is an instrument itself therefore it is much more flexible than sampled audioclips in cubase. And if you think about getting one try the STS5000 with realtime pitch/formantshifting individually configurable for every sample in one instrument... try that with audioclips in cubase :lol:

cheerz,
GenoX
stephan_trance

Post by stephan_trance »

Hey, many thanks for this tips.
I think for audio parts i am more flexible with a sampler, you are right.

But how do you arrange modulations of synths in Scope? Do you keep the synth the whole song to be able to modulate it or what is your strategy do realize a modulation over the whole song? I think to record it could be a hard procedure, because you have to record each modulation part. To keep the synth uses a lot DSP. What is the right strategy for you?

Would be great if you could give me some tips. Thx in advanced.
Goa and trance production: i search tips