STS 3000 on MAC?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

edmann

Post by edmann »

Greetings Everyone -

I am learning to run STS 3000 on a MAC, and stuck on the RIGHT CLICK Commands - i.e. R.C. New Keygroup, R.C. New Program etc....on the MAC there is no Right Click...just Click.

Does anyone know the solution for this problem?

thanks in advance

Ed
borg

Post by borg »

logitech optical wheelmouse with two clickers working fine here...
only thing is, the scroll wheel doesn't work in SFP, nor does it in ableton live. ah well...

if you don't care for a 'mouse upgrade', you might also try the ALTernate key in combination with a click. but really, that's too long ago for me. :smile:
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
virtualstudio

Post by virtualstudio »

I looked it up in manuel
its ctrl +mouseclick
there's more on mac notation in the SFPmanual

good luck
regards
edmann

Post by edmann »

thanks everybody -

next question is: how does one load a .wav or .aif file? (pre-exisuting samples)

I promise I looked thru the manual more than once - and do not find the method.

thank you again

Ed
wayne

Post by wayne »

Hey ed.

you have to make a program first, then drag wavs into the zone.

Page 62, sts 3000 manual, "preparations" should help.

cheers, w
edmann

Post by edmann »

Greetings again -

and thanks for your help and replies.

still stuck!

I have created a Program, Keygroup and Zones. Trying to drag wither .wav or .aif files into the Zones window (and every sub-window that appears as part of the Keygroup/Zones area- no luck..they bounce back)

I have read the entire manual 2X - and from pg 62 forward many times. I see how to record a sample - that is straight forward - but I still do not see anything that details the drrag and drop method...

so I appreciate any and all hints and indicators, I know this must be me not seeing something that is probably obvious

thanks again

Ed
borg

Post by borg »

most probably your files don't have a suffix. before loading samples, add ".wav" to your filename. should work now.
this is just one of those mac things you need to know/live with :wink:
i haven't used STS not that often until now i must admit. this is just my experience from recording audio into ableton live, which results i then might put in a modular patch using sample player modules. ableton doesn't add suffixes (.aiff or .wav) on a mac. so when i import samples in SFP, i have to do the suffix thing.
just an aside: when using the file browser in SFP, move it close enough to the area you want to drop stuff in. in the beginning i got this annoying thing where the target device always was put to the background when moving the cursor 'with the sample your holding' over another device... don't know if activating the 'always on top' button helps here. it's been all so long, and you easily find your little workarounds without giving problems a second look.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: borg on 2004-02-19 12:29 ]</font>
edmann

Post by edmann »

thanks Andy -

the files do have the .aif and .wav suffix such as indicated in the manual.....wierd!

anyway - no big problem I do have the hardware samplers. so I am assigning this a back back way-back burner status

thanks for your time and input

Ed

p.s. does anyone ever communicate with Creamware tech support? I have sent messages but have rec'd no replies. Not a big deal though this forum is about the best tech support I could imagine and the product is well made

thanks again

ed
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Hi there

By the sounds of your problem, this probably won't help, but here's what the manual has to say about it (pp42):

Using Zones

Loading Samples

To assign a sample to a zone, drag it from
the File Browser to the sample field of
the appropriate zone. The STS 3000
recognizes samples in the following file
formats:

Akai ‘S’ files
WAV files (8/16 bit, Mono/Stereo)
AIF files (8/16 bit, Mono/Stereo)

Are you dragging from the 'SFP browser' by the way? (Not sure if that makes a difference, but..?)

Hope you find a solution.

Royston
borg

Post by borg »

ha... so maybe it is your samples are 24bit? i've thought about it when writing my previous post, but forgot while putting the other things 'on paper'.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
edmann

Post by edmann »

ah - yes! The samples are 24 bit!

I assumed that the STS would be 24-bit samplers, and saw nothing to the contrary on the manual.

16 bit samples - with time stretching etc (lots of DSP) probably do not survive very well.....

regardless: thank you Andy and Royston

BTW real happy with the Pulsar II on a Mac - been using it a lot, have identified problem inducing-maneuvers (do not change SR in SCOPE unless it is the only app running) etc. Once you know the drill - it all works very well and the fidelity is (as you know) - great.

thanks again

Ed
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Head scratcher: In a recent post re: using STS samplers as DTD recorders, canonball wrote, "i use for record my mix in 32bit". musurgio indicated the same thing, and nobody from the forum has said that this isn't true.

So...STS samplers record at 32-bit, but only accept 16-bit samples? Wot?

My head hurts...can somebody clarify this one?

Royston
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

STS accept 16, 24 32flt or 32fix wav files

tested here
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

That makes sense, Marcus but unfortunately leaves edmann with his problem unsolved...

Something else for the Creamware bwoys to do - update the SFP manuals!

Keeping documentation up-to-date is...always a problem! :smile:

Royston
at0m

Post by at0m »

Another small addition... The samples should be without headers like the ones SX uses for their 'Broadcast' waves. These headers are for wav files what the tags are for mp3's, they include user info of the file and dont contain audio. STS doesn't recognise the files with headers.

My 2 cents - I'm not much experienced with the STS samplers.