Phase Issues with STS

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

cream

Post by cream »

Also the polyphony thing, the above problem was set to an EVEN number of voices as cream suggested
Did you have enough voices for the drums?..2 voices is not enough, altough it's an even number..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cream on 2004-05-21 11:07 ]</font>
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

I have the solution.
Don´t use the sts samplers. They are complicated and long-winded to use.

Maybe they have great algos but they are outdated, from my view.

Sorry to be so negative but I never liked the STS thingies.

The best thing to play samples were the very old sample players, but to edit and really work with samples, the STS series is crap.

If you have ever worked with Kontakt, you´ll never miss STS. Ok, the time streatch function may be cool and also the filters.
Anyway, the STS had always to much windows, small buttons, etc. for me I never felt comfortable with them....

Am I wrong?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2004-05-21 11:43 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Don't think so :smile: IMHO the only thing STS is usefull for, is the stretching and formant algo's, and maybe for some pads and other not time-critital stuff. Drum samples belong on the main cpu, where they remain sample tight.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
cream

Post by cream »

When i started using the sts-series it seemed that they automaticly adjust the polyfony settings. With the 3.0 version i have to type a number of voices otherwise other midi-notes dissapear. Am i right about his?
I have the solution.
Don´t use the sts samplers. They are complicated and long-winded to use.
How do you program drums then? :smile:
scary808

Post by scary808 »

My phasing problem has nothing to do with a stereo sample or interaction with another sample. This MONO sample will just have an ugly phasing at random. Note that it only happens when I'm playing a full blown sequence. I have a feeling that my RAM speed theory might be the culprit.

Anyone know how softsamplers use RAM?
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

You have a phasing effect when 2 identical signals are played "almost" together.

A single mono signal can't have phasing alone, because phasing implies doubling a signal and its shift in time.

Only thing I can think of, is that the midi note messages come doubled.

If you have overlapped identical double midi notes you have that effect, and this problem can be caused also by the known "emulated ports" problem in cubase...
scary808

Post by scary808 »

On 2004-06-04 19:30, alfonso wrote:
You have a phasing effect when 2 identical signals are played "almost" together.

A single mono signal can't have phasing alone, because phasing implies doubling a signal and its shift in time.

Only thing I can think of, is that the midi note messages come doubled.

If you have overlapped identical double midi notes you have that effect, and this problem can be caused also by the known "emulated ports" problem in cubase...
I use Logic & I have checked the doubled notes thing. Thanks for trying. I have been noticing some fidgety timing that might be the culprit. I'm still convinced of my RAM theory. :smile:
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

hi,
I experience the same problem when outputing thru cubase in this case, but it wears off during playback, that is after being recorded. However when played back without outputing them thru cubase everything sounds normal. I think the problem is the channel split of cubase..