Win2000 + Pulsar + Logic Audio 5

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

gargamon

Post by gargamon »

Just read Ingos post on the Creamware forum. So, things are moving ...

Does anyone know if Logic 5 will work under Win2000?
Mo

Post by Mo »

afaik logic 5 will do.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Ideally when you move to Windows2000/XP, you'll go there with Dual Processors, because it definitely takes more system resources to run 2000/XP as smoothly as you're running your 9x/ME setup right now. And more RAM too. So hopefully the next systems/motherboards/chipsets will also support more than 512megs of RAM :grin:
Mo

Post by Mo »

i´m a bit confused about the available smp-chipsets for athlon - is there only one, or are 760mp and 760mpx different versions of the same chipset? do they differ in bus architecture?
i´ve read about an 'inexpensive' dual-board (ca. 350€, without scsi/lan/etc.) from tyan, what chipset is used there (mp or mpx)?

will there be a dual-cpu version of the i845G (brookdale with ddr-ram), or any other solution for multiprocessing with the p4 northwood?

i wish nVidia would make a dual-cpu version of the nForce420... or SiS (sis735)
<font face="courier"><i>native wishes...</i></font><br><font face="verdana" color="orange">da <font size="+1">peppi connection!</font> <b><i>music</i> and <i>video</i></b> feeds at <font size="+1"><a href="http://www.peppisworld.de">www.peppisworld.de</a>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Warning: GeekSpeak.

i845 + DDR is going to be a little longer wait, they are saying 1st Quarter 2002 now. We should start seeing i845 with SDRAM support in September, however.

Here's a snip from Anandtech re: 760MPX vs 760MP
<i>
The main difference between the 760MP and the 760MPX is that the latter features a 66MHz 64-bit PCI bus with support for up to two devices off of the North Bridge, and a new South Bridge with support for a legacy 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus.
</i>

I think 760MP will be fine for our purposes, funny how they call 33mhz PCI bus cardws "legacy" already :roll: MPX will obviously work as well with it's "legacy" support.

The Tyan is currently the only SMP capable Athlon board and for the price, I don't recommend it, you'll also need a special power supply. Get it only if you're loaded with cash :wink:

As far as CPUs, you will need "MP compatible" Athlons to fill the slots of these dually boards, and the fastest one is currently (8/1/2001) 1.2Ghz -- it's the same core with a few optimizations -- and actually faster than the 1.4Ghz part on many tests.

Expect delays on the nVidia chipset front :sad:
garyb

Post by garyb »

thanks!
Mo

Post by Mo »

yes, thank you, that clears things up a bit for me. after all i´m starting to think "if there would be a smp chipset like the 760mp, paired with the performance of the sis735, and with the twinbank memory architecture and the outstanding innovative arbitration concept of the nForce, that would be my choice."

i´m used to intel, but due to the prices and the offered performance, i was thinking about crossgrading to a fast and cheap amd pc, but... i´m a pulsar owner... (oh oh) ...and so there is a quite good chance to see me stick with intel again, with the northwood-p4... because as long as there are no real-world-tests with pulsar/scope on sis735 or nForce, i believe intel makes still best chipsets for our cards... we´ll see...
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

Emagic announced that they are making an OS X version of LA 5.
wohooo!

First Midiman drivers now Logic for the world's greatest OS!
Mo

Post by Mo »

let´s hope creamware follows.
<font face="courier"><i>native wishes...</i></font><br><font face="verdana" color="orange">da <font size="+1">peppi connection!</font> <b><i>music</i> and <i>video</i></b> feeds at <font size="+1"><a href="http://www.peppisworld.de">www.peppisworld.de</a>