dual Athlon MB's

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

Anyone using any of the dual Athlon boards? I am wondering if there are any probs with using these with SFP. (I think I saw recently that there are some probs with dual G4 macs and scope stuff...)

thanks,

Mythalethe
garyb

Post by garyb »

the problem w/ the g4s is the case.it doesn't close properly with stdm cables attached.what's wrong w/ dual intel?amd is not significantly cheaper and amd is not any less evil.still,i'm sure that dual athlons are theoretically fine and the usual via problems apply.........
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Dual intel are quite a bit more since they are built for the mid-highend server market. XEONs carry a bit of a premium, but they are quite a slick setup.

Dual amd's make a bit more sense, and the AMD760MP/X boards are pretty solid. I know CW themselves have tested on them, too, as Rembert/CW has mentioned they had a Tyan Thunder. I've used the Tyan Tiger MP with success, as well. Be sure you get the latest revision silicon and when you get it flash it to the latest BIOS revision, and update the AMD-chipset drivers after you install the OS...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-10-09 17:06 ]</font>
valis

Post by valis »

If you're thinking of getting a dual, heed subhuman's advice (i think atomic gave it a shot too but I'm not sure if he's still there) and DEFINATELY head over to http://www.2cpu.com make it a daily read. In addition to their main page articles, their Motherboards forum is indispensible.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there you go..... :oops:

of course macs aren't cheap even when campared to xeons.........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garyb on 2002-10-10 02:50 ]</font>
mythalethe

Post by mythalethe »

thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out http://www.2cpu.com...

Mythalethe
at0m

Post by at0m »

Of course I'm still here -but I got no experience with Athlons or current chipsets.

My setup is kept up-to-date at...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

I have a tiger MP and have had very good results. My setup is XP pro, tigermp, 2 1600+ mp's, 2 80gb audio drives , 1 40gb data drive. I can load 12 masterverbs no problem (wich is my DSP max), but only after setting all pci latiency timers to the highest setting (00e8) or somthing. I use Sonar and the beta wdm drivers work ok exept for under heavy loads but, I can run sonar at a steady 95% load and still have all pulsar meters lightning fast(I just have to turn the latiency up to about 80ms on projects with 60ish tracks). Under a full load I can open pulsar windows switch screens, zoom in and out all as if the computer was idleing. I have looked at the cpu meter when doing this and they read one cpu @100% (sonar) and one at about 90%. So for me it works perfect and the only instability that I have right now is related to the shaky beta WDM driver which is not really that bad. Anyway thats been my experience, if you do get a tiger mp make sure to get hardware rev 1.03.
garyb

Post by garyb »

wow,that's some horsepower.....