Do i need a Disc drive???

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

I am going to build me a computer soon. A PC.
(Old mac man by heart). Mostly for gaming but for music work as well.Really excellent combination, i know.

But anyways... do i really have to have a disc drive ? I mean there not expensive or anything but it bugs me to pay money for something that i would never use. Plus i hate disc drives, real computers don't have them you know :smile:
at0m

Post by at0m »

Do you mean diskette drive, like in 'A:'? No you don't need it absolutely, but it comes in handy once in a while to write small things, like password lists etc. And a diskette drive is only about 15€ so it won't hurt you. Anyways, feel free to leave it out.
remixme

Post by remixme »

Yeah, I reconfigured my computer, and forgot the hook up the power to the floppy, that was three months ago, and I only discovered it today.

If they bought out a motherboard without a floppy connector, I would buy it and wouldn't be worried about it.
at0m

Post by at0m »

I haven't seen one without yet, but probably server mobo's don't have it. Most BIOS' can disable 'Reserve IRQ6 for floppy' which saves you an interupt -welcome to pc jupiter8 :wink:
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

Plus i hate disc drives, real computers don't have them you know :smile:
Real computers don´t have it, that was a very good news for some manufacturers, wich invented the USB Flopy drive, wich costs 4 times the standard floppy.
Many software comes with floppy drive keys, (some cubase versions) so many "real computer" users had to pay for that floppies. Then they had discover that those software versions didn´t support USB floppy...

anyway...do you know Murphy?
simple... if you buy it, you´ll never know it´s there, but if you don´t buy it, you´ll need it ar the first place...

For those who don´t have it, you probably could never update your BIOS, run some antivirus or some extreme disk utilities wich only run under DOS.

Floppy drive came from hell, but it´s necessary...

DJATWORK
Luis Maria Gonzalez Lentijo
DjatWork! Optimizaciones
Buenos Aires
Argentina
at0m

Post by at0m »

Yer right, twice a year you need one and then you'll see you can't miss one.

A floppy is like a girl,... euh sorry wrong forum.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

My "main" computer don't have a disc drive and i've never missed one. I don't need an USB drive. So that's has never been a problem for me.

Updating BIOS , antivirus , DOS ????

You can't update BIOS without a floppy??
I don't intend to use DOS. I'll use Windows XP.
And i'll get me a antivirus program that don't need a floppy.

I have been getting in to Windows machines lately. Prior to XP i hated the bloody things. They never worked liked they should. But i am very impressed with Windows XP. I love it!!

So my next computer will be a PC. They are just so cheap compared to Macs.
But the next one after that will probably be a new Mac. I'll probably always will have a Mac as my main computer with a PC as a sidekick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jupiter8 on 2002-09-07 07:58 ]</font>
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

Thats great... and its good fo you that you don´t needed a floppy drive.

Let me tell you that I don´t believe in MAC/PC discussion. They are simply differents, with clear advantages each one...

the true? If I could do that, I´ll choose your way. I own a dual CPU PC, and I´m inloved with that new DUAL G4... The older ones likes me a lot too...
there is only one problem, or may be there are 4,999 problems...

I hope you continue loving Win XP (microsoft does not let you love it for many time) and go for a floppy drive, you´ll need it!!!

DJATWORK
Luis Maria Gonzalez Lentijo
DjatWork! Optimizaciones
Buenos Aires
Argentina
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Ok!!! I got it yesterday.
A Pentium 4 with an ASUS P4B533-V 512 mb RAM.
I have a Creative Labs Audigy for the moment but hope to change that soon.

First impressions.
1. Nice to have a PC again. The last one died on me.

2. Driver trouble!! The ethernet controller isnt working. The USB controller isnt working either but USB is working. Hmmm....
I apparently have 2 USB controllers. Could be USB 1.1 and 2 i suppose. And there is some multimedia audio controller out of order as well but that isnt important.

If someone could help me i would appreciate it.

3. It is not as fast as i expected!!!! I tried with some VSTi:s and it was far from what i thought it should be. From what i have read in some sites a PC should smoke a Mac big time and that isnt the case. At least not for me. I havent tweaked XP so maybe that is why.

4. At last i have a serious gaming machine!!!
Gotta love those video games.

5. Finally. I did not get the disc drive!!!!
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

XP comes rather bloated. You'll get a fairly noticable speed improvement, for example, when you turn off System Restore.

I hope for your sake, you didn't get any P4 less than 2.0Ghz. P4s really come into their own at 2.0Ghz and higher (I am running a P4 1.8ghz right now, and it performs about the same as a 1000mhz P3). The P4 is designed for higher clock speeds (we'll be seeing 3.0ghz+ this year probably).

Next, drivers, this is really no problem, you just have to install them. Usually your motherboard comes with a "driver CD" which you install. If not, just go download them from ASUS's website...
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Not to worry, i fixed it. The mobo came with a CD and when i tried to install an USB 2.0 driver USB stopped working!!
So i reinstalled XP and did'nt dare to try the CD again.
But i tried again today and everything works just fine.
I have'nt tried the USB 2.0 driver as i don't need it for the moment.

BTW it is a 2.4 gHz with 533 FSB.
I expected it to be like 4 times faster than my Mac which is 2 years old and it was'nt.
I'll tweak some more and we'll see.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Also you will probably want to install XP Service Pack 1 on there. Then run over to the Tips & Tricks area here on Z and optimize your XP a little...

System Restore can be really useful - it's saved me before fixing my mom's machine - but should be turned off when doing anything realtime or performance related.
DJATWORK

Post by DJATWORK »

I don´t know if it where in the MS web site, but anyway, I had read in some web site that the System Restore does not have any impact on PC performance, but then in the same site, they advise you to turn it of before doing any benchmark!!!!

THats "funny"...or it shows us that on the net, not all that we can read is trusty...