on what station are you workin?mac or pc(just to know)

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

coc999

Post by coc999 »

hello i put a post here to ask something
that maybe already have asked(but as i am new
in da place...).
I work on a mac with 384mo 350mhz.with a vst5 and a pulsar1
and sometimes my system falls down(2 or 3,4 times during a night of work).So i don't know if this situation is current for other users or if i have somewhere some parameters to redefine?
my post is just by curiosity!have a nice day
and see ya on da world wild web. :smile:
Frontline Studio

Post by Frontline Studio »

On 2001-04-25 05:20, coc999 wrote:
hello i put a post here to ask something
that maybe already have asked(but as i am new
in da place...).
I work on a mac with 384mo 350mhz.with a vst5 and a pulsar1
and sometimes my system falls down(2 or 3,4 times during a night of work).So i don't know if this situation is current for other users or if i have somewhere some parameters to redefine?
my post is just by curiosity!have a nice day
and see ya on da world wild web. :smile:
Hi!

I work on a IBM Aptiva PentiumII 450 MHz w/128MB RAM and a Pulsar 1 with software version 2.04a. I can work on the machine for as long as I please, without nasty messages or shutdowns. I have installed my Pulsar without changing the settings and it keeps on going...
CU,

John.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I'm on a PIII 450MHz with 384Mb RAM running PulsarII 2.01 and VST 3.7. I hve no troubles. I even kept it running the other day while on the Net and it didn't even murmur a crackle in protest. I'm also running various graphics programs, Office, games etc.

Sounds to me like something in there needs some serious tweaking. Three or four crashes a session would drive me nuts!
Mo

Post by Mo »

i work on a pentiumII 400 with 256mb ram on a bx-board. everything´s fine here.
coc999

Post by coc999 »

you know why i am laughing because usually in the macintosh world we say
"problems are not for me, i have the best
engine...bla bla bla... "and here it is exactly the opposing way.
i have some troubles and you guys with pentiums are ok.
next time i will talk i will be more modest.
see ya :smile:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Asus CUSL2 (i815E)
PentiumIII 1000mhz (w/ Alpha PAL6035, 16db fan)
Matrox G450 Dual Head AGP
Luna II (slot 1)
Pulsar I (slot 5)
30gig 7200RPM Maxtor
3Com 10/100 Network
4U Midnight Rackmount
Win98SE w/ tweaks

Runs almost flawlessly... I leave Logic and Pulsar open at all times, and can often work a few hours each day on a project in the evenings, only rebooting once every week or 2.
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

PIII 650 MHz, BX440 chipset (Abit BE6-II), 256 MB PC-100 RAM, 30 GB IDE HDD, Matrox G400, Pulsar I + Pulsar II SRB running Logig Gold 4.7.

My biggest problem is that I have not time enough to make all ze phat muzik !

Cheers
Stubbe
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Pentium III 550, 512 PC100, 10 Gb for Audio 72000 IBM, extremely clean system, no other programs but music ones, Pulsar Plus I, VST 3.7:

It works almost at perfection. The only thing I have to be careful with is the way I close VST, if I were to close it incorrectly (because of hungry plug-ins), I may turn my current Pulsar Project useless.
gelder

Post by gelder »

P iii - 933mhz 384mb ram ibm deskstar 30gb 7200 ata 100 hard drive.

it run very smooth since i'm keeping my machine clean , no blue screens no nasty masseges...
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

PIII 800eb
384M RAM
Asus CUSL2
Samplitude 2496 v5.91
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

There's some nice systems there ! I'm jealous.
Zer

Post by Zer »

just like me (jealous)...I´m still working with my aged P2 384 MB RAM Pulsar 1 + 2 SRB, ASUS P2B which I needed to change 5 times til I got a real asus one (that´s why I won´t buy ASUS any more, ADAPTEC USWC2 SCSII. If someome is out there who´d like to give his P4 and his Mothernboard away...just contact me, I´m often troubled buy the limitations of my machine....
hairbrain

Post by hairbrain »

Hello everyone,

I've been an avid PlanetZ visitor for ages, I thought I'd poke my head up and say Hi.

For my system I've gone as small as I can.
I got an ASUS CSUL2-M (Micro ATX).
pIII 933mhz
512 mb RAM
I use the motherboards video card & LAN.
I have 2 IBM deskstar IDE 7,200rpm 46gb drives and a yamaha CD-RW. I squeeze all this into as tiny a case as I possibly can get.
Finally I got into debt buying a flat screen monitor which is about 1cm thick.

The end result is the closest a pulsar system can currently get to a laptop. All in all I can pack my system up into a briefcase and cart it off on holiday with me. It's not a laptop but it's definitely a portable computer.

Still I can imagine, in 10 years time, sitting there with my palmtop laughing at all the bulk I used to have to carry around to make music.

peace

hairbrain >:)
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

hairbrain; cute little setup! do you have a URL for the case you used? I'd like to see a picture :smile:

how are you cooling the little bugger? without a big video card, i guess there's one less source of heat.

nice idea... i always thought the cusl2-m was an interesting little board.
hairbrain

Post by hairbrain »

Hi subhuman... enjoying a healthy argument on the other thred:)

>do you have a URL for the case you used?

The case has been the biggest problem. I've momentarily plumped for an ordinary microATX case. But the one I really want is the smallest one I can find. This is produced by ElanVital it's about 300 x 300 cm.

> how are you cooling the little bugger?

Yep without any cards, other than my Pulsar, there's not that much heat in there. I'm gonna get a couple of fans from quietPC, however, to replace my current noisy one.

No picture at the mo as I'm thinking of building my own case/briefcase to house it. I'd like to make some mad kind of accordion case for it and make it look like some insane inventors contraption for when I gig. I wonder, however, if it's folly to encase it with a wooden case as that might promote overheating.

have fun and happy mangling

woolymind >:)
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I´m working with PC (P3-500, WIN98SE) ASUS P3BF Motherboard with 384MB, VST 5R1, emagic amt8 and Pulsar2+PowerPulsar (makes 21 DSPs, 32Ch ADAT I/O)
System crashes are very rare, even in complex setups with several app´s running I can work for hours in a row.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Macintosh G4, 400 Mhz, with 500+ RAM. I use Pulsar 1 + Pulsar II SRB with Logic Audio (and occasionally Digital Performer, but Pulsar interfaces better with Logic Audio). Pulsar System 2.041 (this includes the new Mac update on Creamware's website). When everything's going great, which is now most every day, I can work on a project for two or three hours and not have a single crash. But it's still not crashproof.

But, I don't have a single major audio app, with the exception of Reason, that's really, truly stable so I guess Pulsar's about par for the course.
Tof

Post by Tof »

Hello evrybody.
I work on:

Machintoch G4 500 750Mo of ram
Pulsar II + & SRB II + STS 4000
Cubase 5.0 , Spark XL 2.0

All is great !!!

See on my web page my configuration & the only bugs i have !

See you

Tof
http://www.chez.com/duffe
Accoustic & electronic musicien.
Hello from Paris !
Ewout

Post by Ewout »

[OT: Hairbrain & Subhuman, you might wanna take a look at the Lian Li PC-30, it's a case made for LAN-goers.
Check it out here: http://www.virtualhideout.net/reviews/l ... ndex.shtml ]

My audiosystem:
Abit KT7 RAID
AMD TB900@1000
512MB Infineon PC133
2x 30GB IBM DTLA (2MB, 7200 rpm) (No Raid)
Asus 50x CDROM
Plextor 12/10/32 CDRW
Guillemot Geforce 2 MX
Pulsar I (v2.04a)
Realtek 10Mbit NIC
Windows ME

Mainly using Cakewalk 9, SoundForge 5 & Waves DX Plugins without any problems.
One little issue is that I can't use more than 2 Pulsar reverbs (PCI Master Overflows), but since I haven't heard a nice, free reverb for Pulsar I'll stick to Waves Trueverb.

Last weekend, I removed my Pulsar from a ASUS CUSL2-C, Celly566@850 system, cuz after testing both setups I came to the conclusion,that for my needs it doesn't matter what setup to use, so I decided to use the fastest system for audio purposes.

Ewout
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

I'm using 2xPulsar II on a MAC G4 500Mhz system. I had one crash last week.

I use 13ms or less latency.