on what station are you workin?mac or pc(just to know)

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Have a Mac G4/400 576 RAM OS 9.04 running Pulsar II and Logic 4.7 very stable. Had a crash a week ago. The one before that was several months ago.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

OT - Ewout, I recently built a machine based around the larger Lian Li PC60 all alunimum case, which was a spectacular box. I only wish they made an all aluminum rackmount to my depth specifications (needs to fit SKB rack with endcaps on). I didn't like the PC30 since the powersupply is above the CPU area, which limits larger HSF combos (and therefore, the amount of overclocking I can get on :wink:

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread... :wink:
dodge

Post by dodge »

General advice for Mac freaks.

If possible, format your HD in 2 or more partitions. Install the OS on the first partition and put a copy of that OS on the second partition. Whenever you install software on the first partition, copy the system folder to the second partition as a backup when you're done. If you keep more than one version of your OS on different partitions and one OS crashes and won't boot, the Mac boots from the backup OS.

Better yet, create three partitions. 2 Relatively small ones and 1 large partition. Use for instance a 1:1:4 or 1:1:2 ratio, depending on the size of your HD. Keep a minimum of 1 GB per partition though. On the first one, install the OS and your main software. Keep all your fonts and small files, like those html help sections, readme's etc. on the second. Finally, use the third (and largest) partition for your documents (audio) files. The ultimate would be to install separate internal HD's, but that's a rare and usually costly setup.

Another thing to check is to give your apps the right amount of memory. Sometimes assigning LESS memory avoids crashes, but never go lower than the minimum set by the author of the app. if you think your app needs more, assign more. I found that most Mac users either set the memory way too high or don't change the setting at all!

A third thing to remember is to try to keep your setup as clean as possible. When you install software, keep the install logs, your might need them later for troubleshooting or to check where the files were placed. If you're using the Mac for music only, don't install every bit of free software you can find, it will most likely kill your system at some point. And more important, if the current setup works, and you're happy about the OS you're using (be it 8.x or 9.x), don't update to a higher version unless there's absolutely no other way! It's also best not to install the most recent version of system components like QuickTime on an 'older' OS. Also, try to use the minimum possible system configuration by disabling extensions and control panels you don't need.

I hope this will help somewhat. Should you need more tips, you can always contact me if you like.

<a href =mailto:info@av-id-productions.com>dodge</a>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2001-05-11 13:57, Tof wrote:
See on my web page my configuration & the only bugs i have !

Tof
http://www.chez.com/duffe
Hi,
What browser do you use to reach your site? I couldn't using neither IE nor Netscape (on a Mac)... :sad:

My system is mac g4/400/448MB of Ram, Pulsar 1/Luna 2, Cubase 4.1r2. I get crashes but I discovered the cause: active sensing messages from my outboard gear. Tried to fix it by placing [midi filter] module between pulsar midi source and seq. midi dest with poor effects. The only workaround that works is to open OMS setup app for the whole pulsar session (that way you can open/close any required app - for instance cubase, recycle then cubase and so on) - this way you get no crashes at all (if your problem is pulsar oms driver vs. active sensing)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2001-10-17 12:07 ]</font>
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

UPDATE: I now work on a quicksilver MAC G4 867Mhz :smile:

Pulsar v3 and Logic ALL FUCKED UP until I changed back to OMS 2.3.7 instead of 2.3.8...the gui is a bit slow, but heck it's all cosmetics.
horrn

Post by horrn »

hi, as i return to the topics question, i´m working on two systems. my 2 pulsar I are working on a seperate old asus p2b with an pII350 and 256mbram (will get the old pIII550 soon which is out of my recording pc!)... since i have changed to working with pulsar on a second pc i had no othe like the typical problems :smile:) but it´s working very fine for me cause i can do a lot of synths and a lot of x-tra-fx for my audios linked via adat-io´s to this pc ...

no more crashes...

t.
horrn

Post by horrn »

hi, as i return to the topics question, i´m working on two systems. my 2 pulsar I are working on a seperate old asus p2b with an pII350 and 256mbram (will get the old pIII550 soon which is out of my recording pc!)... since i have changed to working with pulsar on a second pc i had no othe like the typical problems :smile:) but it´s working very fine for me cause i can do a lot of synths and a lot of x-tra-fx for my audios linked via adat-io´s to this pc ...

no more crashes...

t.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I went a little nuts on the VISA card, you know I have to do my part to stimulate the economy, right?

4U Black Rackmount Case
ASUS P4TE i850 Chipset
Pentium IV 1,800MHz
512meg RDRAM ECC
80gig Seagate Barracuda IV
Pioneer 16x Slot (BLACK)
Scope/SP + Pulsar + Luna

Windows ME/ Windows XP dual boot... running really good so far, still using ME for most things, but testing the XP waters for my uses.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-10-31 15:52 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

sub - congrats on the new system! you can float me that luna and pulsar if you are having pci probs or need room in the machine . . . :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I'm on PC channel -
here is the riggin!
- Blue 4U Rack Mount Case in SKB case w/Pulsar Logo for aesthetics
- Custom dual silencer fan array cooling HD's and DSP's
- Asus CUSL2-C
- Pentium III 933mhZ
- 512MB PC100
- Pulsar I
- Luna II
- Adaptec 19160 Ultra 160 LVD SCSI controller
- Matrox G450 w/17" and 15" monitors
- Quantec 10,000 rpm SCSI HD, 8MB cache - Audio
- 7200rpm WD IDE UDMA66 HD - System
- Win98SE all tuned up and ghosted
- Pulsar OS 3.0
- Cubase 5

working like a charm . . . :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-10-31 16:50 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

Working on 2 pc's:

Computer 1
WinXPpro
SOYO 6BA+
PII-450,
112MHz FSB,
512MB Sdram,
10GB ATA33,
Cdrom 48x
Matrox G450 + 19" +17",
USB: AMT8 + Akai S5000 (need to load samples before opening of Pulsar, too heavy pci tax),
2 Pulsar1 cards,
2 LAN cards (gateway+internet)
Pulsar OS3 + Cubase5.1

Computer 2
WinXP xtra lean,
Acorp 6BA815EPD,
RAID disabled,
dual PIII 1053Hz,
140MHzFSB,
256MB now, on order: 2x256MB Apacer CL2
133MHz,
Matrox G450me, 17" & 15",
IBM ATA100 30GB,
Maxtor ATA66 10GB,
Plextor cdrw,
Pulsar2-ZLink-LunaBox
AMT8 on 'slow' USB
LAN 10MB/s, 8kB buffer, pci audio.

PC1 has shutdown problems, but runs smooth when focussing on music :wink:

PC2 used to have CopyProtection Violation Erros, now gone: I replaced the 2 Pulsar1's by a Pulsar2 and LunaBox. And put the Pulsar1's back where they came from: pc1.
Ran fine in MPS mode, now fully stripped install after formats. Doing 0ms latency @96kHz, 1ms 44kHz in Fruity. Or that's what's indicated. I'm astonished. Can this technically be?

Need to get a grip,

atomic.