to subhuman (about dma)

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

sandrob

Post by sandrob »

Make sure "DMA" is checked for your hard disks. Winkey+Pause (Or right-click My Computer > Properties) > Device manager > Diskdrives > Properties. If you don't see the DMA checkbox, then you might have the (evil) Intel ATA drivers installed. It's been suggested to uninstall these drivers as they steal CPU, and then you'll see the DMA box again, too.
hey, sub! this is from Optimizing your Win9x PC for Audio on your site!
now i'm not sure which drivers to use!? i had big problems (you know - clicking sound) when i was use drivers with dma option.
now i use IBM-DTLA-307030 and i don't have problems anymore :smile: but i can't see dma option :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-02-05 00:26 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

This really depends on which IDE drivers you have installed; this varies depending on who makes your IDE driver and the chipset you have in your system. The initial i815 drivers for Win98SE that came on the CUSL2 CDROM caused MAJOR performance issues. Microsoft's WinME IDE driver was better at the time than Intels! But this has all changed, IAA seems to work well, and WinXP, no drivers are really needed, they are built in.

Most "newer" and "modern" IDE drivers enable DMA by default and don't even give you the option anymore. But be careful, use something like <a href=http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10 ... tid>SiSoft Sandra</a> to verify your drive is really in DMA mode.