hardisks?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

kiminet

Post by kiminet »

1)Which harddisk setup will give the best performance?
2)does it mean anything that you use harddisks of different speed?

Thanks in advance

Kim
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Ya know, I see these questions coming up all the time from different people. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the subject. You can ask three different people and probably get three different answers.

I was using Maxtors up until a few weeks ago when I switched to Seagate Barracudas. Frankly, I didn't notice a difference in performance. The Seagates run much hotter than the Maxtors. The Seagates do seem a bit quieter but not like an enormous order of magnitude quieter. I think the Maxtors are pretty darn good drives. Used 'em for years without a problem. With Maxtor's acoustic damping (which can be turned on and off), I think they are just as mechanically quiet as the Seagates. Speed-wise, well, compare the specs for yourself and then decide.

I used to hear good things about the IBM Deskstar drives but haven't really heard much about them lately.
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

Thank you krizrox.But I mean :is it best to
have one big harddisk with two partitions
one for OS and one for music.Or is better to have two or more disks.What happens when you fx.gets the audiotracks from one and samples
(halion/harddiskstreaming)from another?

Kim
at0m

Post by at0m »

I think using 2 HD's is a good solution for DAW's. I would not use 2 separate HD's for audio, but rather one dedicated to programs and one to put your documents.

Then comes partitioning.

I have DISK1, PART1=programs PART2=virtual memory, assigned first. Then I make some folders for temporary files from non-audio apps. You could also use dedicated defrag program to separate virtual memory from temp files.
DISK2 could look like PART1=MyDocs PART2=everything you save to reconstruct your song later (song per folder, easy backup to cd), also recordings PART3=Samples, Profiles(templates for all programs), Presets...

Maybe not ideal, but that's about the way I've been working for long time.

atomic.
witchstar

Post by witchstar »

I use 2 - 60gb IBM Deskstar 60GXP's:
#1: 8gb partition for System, 12gb partition for Programs, 40gb partition for Sample Storage
#2: 3 - 20gb partitions for Audio

This works well for me.

Mark