any news about p4 - 2,2 or 2.4!??!

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i can't wait anymore - i will buy new p4 computer. so, is anybody (subhuman) do test with p4 2.2 or 2.4?!
i'm still not sure which mobo to choose :???: stability is more important to me!?
now i can't use full power of my 2 pulsar's boards, because i have clicking sounds when open more then 2-3 (depends of cpu usage) pulsar reverbs. i hope that will solve this with new configuration and finaly start to use pulsar on right way?!
thanks
sandro

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-01-19 13:47 ]</font>
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

which one is your actual MoBo? I guess you can improve much by tweaking the right params...
But if you don´t want to wait, and want an P4 for sure, I´d go for ASUS P4T-E
at0m

Post by at0m »

This one will do if you were looking for Sub's P4 selection :grin:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Nice one! And not overpriced. But which fans are used in there? It should be the verax-fans to make the dream complete, and maybe a SCSI-edition for choice?
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

my actual mobo is cusl2/p3-933. i will like to buy configuration from sub, but i'm little too far :sad:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

If you don´t like your machine, give it to me! :smile:
You can be sure that your problems are homebrewed, the hardware you have is fine...
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

On 2002-01-20 09:49, JoeKa wrote:
You can be sure that your problems are homebrewed, the hardware you have is fine...
i look in dictionary: Homebrewed - "beer what you make (cook) at home" :wink:
ok, i understand what you mean. i do every little hardware, software and bios optimatisation and my setup works smooth. clicking problems starts only with more reverbs while is highest cpu usage in cubase?!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-01-20 11:34 ]</font>
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Ok, that problem of high CPU-usage in cubase where it should not be... I had it, too. Solved it with an all new installation of Pulsar.
It seemed to be an problem of the asio driver, and whatever I tried, I didn´t find any tweaking that would have helped. Then I did the new installation and never saw that bug again.
And for recording and handling of absolutely all audio files, I only use SCSI now. With IDE I got stuttering and clicking sound in VST, in recordings as well as in playback.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

On 2002-01-20 14:11, JoeKa wrote:
Solved it with an all new installation of Pulsar.
wait, wait!!! you say that if i do reinstal of pulsar that i can solve this problem?!
just reinstal pulsar or something else!?
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Yep. It´s definitely worth a try before blowing out your money on a new machine, and as for me, it helped!
But completely remove the drivers before and install to a new directory, to be sure.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

thanks, i will try.... but i will buy new comp anyway :smile:
thanks!
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

Yep. It´s definitely worth a try before blowing out your money on a new machine, and as for me, it helped!
But completely remove the drivers before and install to a new directory, to be sure.
i try but can't help :sad: everything works fine if my cpu don't go over 60%. than starts anoying. graphic in pulsar is so slow that is imposible to work and with avery new reverb added in project i have more clicking :cry:
is it normal for highest (over 60%) cpu usage!??!

hm, this now looks like "problem solving post".... sorry, didn't wont it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-01-21 05:19 ]</font>
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Hmm, very strange... your comp should be twice as fast as mine, but I can use up to 6 masterverbs +several Pulsarsynths and still have enough CPU resources left for some work in VST.
Be sure that DMA-mode is active for your harddisks. If not, that could be a reason, too. I don´t have anymore ideas at this point because you said you already tried many of the proposed tweakings.
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

The new, fast CPUs are surely great, but only a little later this year we'll see chipsets with much faster memory interfaces like Dual DDR, DDR-400, etc, plus better managed PCI. This will probaly make a more practical impact on us Pulsar users.

Also, just a bit further out, serial ATA could have a dramatic effect on how DAWs should be configured. Everybody will want one HD for OS, one for audio tracking, and one for sample streaming, the latter two running at very high bandwidths, which tomorrow's chipsets will probably not choke on.

Ages old problem with this hi-tech stuff: whatever you're thinking of buying today, tomorrow's stuff is just around the corner, and it'll definitely make today's stuff look lame.

I, for one, plan to stick with my CULS2/PIII system for another half year or so, but I'm glad someone's out there at the leading edge finding out what really works and what doesn't!
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Dblbass, you frightened me.
Checking out this tech talk corner to get information to configure that perfect pulsar pc.
Used to have problems with clicks and crackles, could reduce it by taking out SCSI.

As you say, there is always faster machines coming out, and once they are there the next generation is already announced. Vicious circle, really.

Looking for Subtest results on motherboards, I agree that PCI performance is crucial to system performance.

Sonic

=> tech talk sounds bad, we all did start to make music, didn't we???
EarlyFirst

Post by EarlyFirst »

i try but can't help everything works fine if my cpu don't go over 60%. than starts anoying. graphic in pulsar is so slow that is imposible to work and with avery new reverb added in project i have more clicking
is it normal for highest (over 60%) cpu usage!??!

hm, this now looks like "problem solving post".... sorry, didn't wont it.

Hi,

Just saying you have a CUSL-2 with a 933
is and I stress this point _NOT ENOUGH INFO_

I'm not trying to be harsh OR put you down...

But the better spec list would be look something like this

P3-933
Cusl-2 make and bios version
300 watt power year old ( shares the plug in the wall with my amp plus or mixer as well as the monitor)
Nvidia Geforce2 or Matrox G450
2x maxtor or IBM ata 100 drives
Pulsar or Luna (or even a combination)
stating IRQ/s sharing if any and with what
Nic(networkcard)
Other soundcard(live etc..)
any other cards
USB? disabled or used and by what

Windows version ( upgrade or full)
quick rundown on tweaks
IE: MSconfig>startup is clean, Drives are defragged on a semi regular basis etc..
All drivers are upto date as far as I know.etc..etc..

then to the inwork problem:

samplerate 44.1/48/96
Clock source....
Ulli is at _...._
24 ASIO2 16/24 bit channels source
16 ASIO2 dest
2 wave source and dest
2reverbs
4compressors
Pulsar Mixer ( led's shown or closed?)

I have afew VSTi's running
plus other DX plugs
I'm playing back 18audio 24/16 bit
8midi chls which feed ext/pulsar

did you recently install any new software? effects?

I know it looks like alot _it is_ BUT after this type of detailed spec more people should be able to give advice instead of questions.....

I know I would :wink:

Cheers
at0m

Post by at0m »

On 2002-01-25 12:51, Sonic wrote:
(...)
=> tech talk sounds bad, we all did start to make music, didn't we???
(...)
It cannot sound bad to me. Pulsar or any DSP card belongs in a computer, weither it's a mac or a pc. People like myself (and there's lots of them here) really like to tweak and tune from time to time. We experiment a lot and want to get the most out of our machines.

There's many people working on most different setups, that creates questions! I prefer to use 'questions' to 'problems', every problem has an answer. And you're sure not the only one to have it.

This forum will concentrate the different tech topics out of Problem Solving and General Discussion.
For every question has it's answer, it will be more convenient to get all tech info together in this forum.

atomic.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio