about 2 hard disks

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i have 2 (same disks) 30gb-hard disk. i use first for system and recording and second for backup and sts/giga samples.
maybe is system and backup on first and everything else (recordings, samples...) on second is better combination?!?
what's the best for smooth working?!
how to organise hard disks!?
thanks!
sandro

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-01-06 05:29 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

This is what I do:
partition your system disk and use C: as partition, the rest as backup. leave the other drive for audio playback / sample storage etc
Micha

Post by Micha »

Reserve the first fast part (max. 2 GB) of the second disk for the swap file. Keep the temp folder on the first disk. Set this temp folder into all applications that ask for a temp folder.
why? swap file is in fastest area of the disk, if your second makes too much noise while processing, increase your memory until it gets quiet again. (noise=frequency of use of swap file=heads jumping back+forth). temp on first: you work on second, so undo steps are saved in temp (=first disk) copy disk to disk is quiet.
And quiet is fastest.
Happy pulsaring
Micha
bosone

Post by bosone »

consider to do a partition to use only for a system backup with programs such as norton ghost.
i have a small partition on which i installed the system (win and all programs) - about 1 GB
then when i want to backup i just use norton ghost and copy the entire partition to a file.
if something goes wrong, with norton ghost in 2 minutes i restore the previous configuration on the partition in which i have the system
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

don't put swap partition on the same disk with the recording partition, it will cause audio dropouts. put it on the system disk.
ciao, alfonso