AMD CPUs Benched

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

AMD CPUs Benched

Post by dawman »

Pretty impressive and I was right about the 3700X’s @ 65 Watts being the best CPU for audio for under 500.
I chat with guys who are severe geeks and grandstand while arguing, so I get to learn by reading through their pillaging.

Last AMDs crapped out @ 60-65% when too many plug ins were loaded.
Not good for most folks but Scope takes away a big load from the CPU.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12 ... ic-number/
dante

Re: AMD CPUs Benched

Post by dante »

8 cores is yay ! Scope XITE compatibility ? Scope and UAD2 combined take away a MASSIVE load from CPU but Shreddage 3 and Bias Amp don't run on DSP - and they suck up cycles !
dawman

Post by dawman »

S3 using Dual Lite instances is what I use.
Then apply different PBend values to each one so I get a Big Sound and that Double Tracking effect like Sabbath or Skynard when using the wheel on leads.

Yeah it’s great though using Scope for mixing and Dynamics, Strymon Pedals for ALL FX, and a PC just for streaming.

Great only needing half of the power of what most guys on forums carry on about.

But this little 8 Core has super low latency everywhere.
The way you can just load plug ins until it hits 100% is slightly better than Intel’s I have used.
Mine crap out at 85-90% but I never load that many plug ins.
Strictly a polyphony freak.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

I am currently on the 3700x, and it is lovely. I was a bit sceptic about the noise level of the chipset fan of the new x570 motherboards, but up to now this is not noticable. There is one x570 motherboard without chipset fan, and one video stated that a smallish heat sink would suffice if you dont mind some modding...

So far i haven't set up my audio apps, but its good to read that it performs well.

One important tip if anyone gets one of these... Manually lower the CPU voltage! The default Auto value pumps between 1.4-1.5V to the CPU, which is way too much and doesn't do any good beside bringing your CPU temp up, and potentially lowering lifetime of the CPU. Set it to around 1.35V and you are good.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:14 pm S3 using Dual Lite instances is what I use.
Same I load up a couple of lite instances and/or S2 as well but when I add Bias Amp or FX it can be the straw that breaks the camels back. Using the Softube Marshall JMP 2203 on UAD2 offloads the amp stuff but I would still like the option of using the Bias FX stuff as well.
dawman

Post by dawman »

A freebie from Kontakt Library call Rock Guitar blends really well with S3 too.
I was messing with this today. It also has bend values other than 1 and 2, etc.
.4 and 1.1, whatever you want.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

So, a naiive question, are there any motherboards for this cpu that have two or more PCI slots?
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:13 pm A freebie from Kontakt Library call Rock Guitar blends really well with S3 too.
I was messing with this today. It also has bend values other than 1 and 2, etc.
.4 and 1.1, whatever you want.
I need like David Gilmour's major 3rd octave slide guitar at 1:02 - 1:07 in Dark Side Of The Moon - Great Gig In The Sky. Can it do that ?
next to nothing

Peter Drake wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:50 pm So, a naiive question, are there any motherboards for this cpu that have two or more PCI slots?
I haven't researched tha much yet, but the good thing with AMD is that they do not demand a new chipset for each CPU "generation". So if anyone has found a motherboard for the AMD 2000- series which has PCI slots, chances are it will work with the new processors after a BIOS update. but please check for updated bios before purchase, and remember you will need an old CPU to update the bios...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

Thanks, that's good and useful information I may put to use.
next to nothing

I just had a quick search, and as an example you can see the bios updates of this card:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE

Note that my current AMD setup is the first i've purchased this millenium(!), so i can't comment on perfomance of specific boards/chipsets, the example was just given as a "what to look for" before you fork out money for a card :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Most B350s have Legacy PCI.
Most of my buddies with 32 bit RME Hammerfalls use ASRock Pro 4 series boards, but I’m thinking they’ve only got one slot, but old RMEs are finicky like Scope so the Pro 4 should be compatible.